New 75 Gal FOWLR - An On Going journal - Cycling + Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

75galsalt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, to make this easy I will use this as my place to ask ask ask and to show results of water test for some advice of course, here is the results of the first test.

High Range PH 7.8

Ammonia 4.0

NO3 Nitrate 0

NO2 Nitrate 5

todays test

High Range PH 7.9

Ammonia 0.0

NO3 Nitrate 160

NO2 Nitrate 5

Seems strange on the NO3??

Salinity is right where it should be

How are you cycling? I assume you're cycling. Need some context/background to understand what you're doing and what your test might be showing. What is in your tank?

PH should be at about 8.2 to 8.4 for reef. NO2 is nitrIte.

84.5lbs live rock and 20lbs of live sand 75gal tank will be fowlr

2 powerheads moving 600gph on either end of tank facing one another one swivals back and forth one does 360 degree

Bio wheel filter

still looking for skimmer

water temp is 78 to 79 degrees

I thought the live rock was cured, a fish died so I left in there to rott, thats it.. besides my peppermint shrimp which is doing fine ... along with the live rock / sand I have nothing in the tank so yes I assume I am cycling per others saying I am

ahh yea that not good on the dates... I will post new water test every other day.. amoung other ??

still looking for skimmers, this is the hardest thing to buy so far

What is it? Can't decide on which skimmer? Skimmers are all over the internet and SW fish stores if there is one near you - although maybe not a lot of choices though at the storefront places.

Is your tank reef ready, with the overflow box or would you need a hang on skimmer? There are articles all over, and at this site (see above/top of this page) on cycling a tank. Have you read any of them? You gotta be able to understand the process before you attempt to do this, otherwise you're in for a hard time - and wasted money. I got a feeling the peppermint shrimp won't be around long since you may still have to properly cycle the tank first. Not sure.

The rock you found that was not cured. How long has it been in the tank?

We'll help you thru this - and beyond if you need, but you've gotta do some research - or ask here before you add anything else to the tank. You have a nice sized tank and I'd hate to see you not get going in a better direction.

Still would like to know if and how you cycled the tank.

austinsdad said:
What is it? Can't decide on which skimmer? Skimmers are all over the internet and SW fish stores if there is one near you - although maybe not a lot of choices though at the storefront places.

Yes, can not decide, find one and DO RESEARCH all over net and it gets torn apart by people in reviews... so no not found one yet (Unless I spend 300 or more... not sure if that is needed for a fowlr)

austinsdad said:
Is your tank reef ready, with the overflow box or would you need a hang on skimmer?

No do not want a reef tank, it is as stated fowlr -- I will need a HOB

austinsdad said:
There are articles all over, and at this site (see above/top of this page) on cycling a tank. Have you read any of them? You gotta be able to understand the process before you attempt to do this, otherwise you're in for a hard time - and wasted money.

Maybe you missed the other post about when I bought a empty tank, and since then nothing but research? not sure

However as I am sure you and every one knows, take ten people and they will say oh no do not do it that way do it this way, my way is best oh do it that way and you will waste money, or kill your live stock... 10 folks = 15 different ways to do the same thing .. so yea very frustrating.. (IE... fish stores on commission or many other fish forums saying different things about one thing.. (no matter what it is from sand to cycle)

austinsdad said:
I got a feeling the peppermint shrimp won't be around long since you may still have to properly cycle the tank first. Not sure.

Maybe he will die, if he does I deserve to lose the money I spent like on the royal gamma, I was an idiot by listening to one person, to make a choice, after hearing many stores tell me "Yea, we build tanks and add live stock all in same day, no problem buy this fish he is a good tester of water

austinsdad said:
The rock you found that was not cured. How long has it been in the tank?

Your right, it clearly is not cured as I was assured it was (the reason I paid for overnight del. so I would not have problems... so much for that money) it is only three weeks old

austinsdad said:
We'll help you thru this - and beyond if you need, but you've gotta do some research - or ask here before you add anything else to the tank. .

Thanks, it is all I would like to see, I picked this one site only because it seems I will learn more than the others - but as in life, the pros, seem to maybe forget sometimes, a rookie does not understand the lingo so getting frustrated and / or assuming someone has no desire to research does no good - maybe when I am a pro in years to come, I will forget too - I know I do in the business world

austinsdad said:
You have a nice sized tank and I'd hate to see you not get going in a better direction.

it is only three weeks old, got to get it thru a cycle first... after reading and listening to others, I am in a cycle... did I know I would be? no I thought I had cured rock, so after my first post about my water, I put a brake on everything because more than one person in here told me too.. :)

austinsdad said:
Still would like to know if and how you cycled the tank.

thought I answered this, if I have not please let me know what I am missing in your question...

i have 85lbs of live rock , 20lbs of live sand, one dead royal gamma (he is about gone now can hardly see him) other than that nothing in tank... besides equpiment as said in first post..

is this what your wanting to know?

thanks for your detailed post, this is exactly how I learn :)

You are right on track and have answered all the questions. It is hard for people to read all the previous post sometimes and still visit all areas of the site. One thing to remember is no one here is out to make money off of you. Value info here more than anything you here at the LFS. Reef ready is just a fancy term for is your tank drilled with overflows. Reef ready tanks are nice even if it is a FOWLR. You should not get 15 different ways to do something here when it comes to tank chemistry etc. What brands to buy will vary but usually the crappy ones will be slammed by several people.

Reef ready is just a fancy term for is your tank drilled with overflows.

AHHHHHHHHHH

thanks see I learned something else.. ok .......... to answer -- no it is not but after seeing them and reading.. my next one will most for sure be reef ready...

honestly... I am thinking for my set up on this tank.. as far as online pricing I am prepared to spend about 150.00 total on a skimmer... (Online price, stores would clearly be 50 to 80.00 more for same item)

THANKS

(AM UPDATE) -------------------------------------

4.27.06 AM Water Test UPDATE

Salinty 1.022

TEMP 78 Degrees

HR PH 7.8

Ammonia 0

NO3 30

NO2 0.25

The PH is confusing me -- seems things are going in right direction but that.... suggestions?

The dead fish is pretty much rotted away... have not seen peppermint in about 3 days... (Still need to build my rocks in a dispplay and not just sitting on bttm, so he I am sure is hiding will see Sunday about it)

I'm pretty much thinking that between the dead live rock (the mail order one) and the dead fish that rotted in the tank (get him out by the way), your tank may be nearing the end of its cycle. Looks like your ammonia may have aready peaked and the nitrite is on its way back down too. When your nitrite gets to zero, I'm thinking your tank may be cycled.

Only thing I'm still wondering is how did all that happen in 5 days. The ammonia was at 4.0 on the 4/22. Maybe the rock was partially cured/not all dead and did a short mini-cycle, and established enough nitrifying bacteria (with what may have already been established)on the rock and in the bio-wheel to get going.

That's my guess. Maybe someone with more rock and chemical savy might weigh in.

Anyway. The shrimp is dead I'm sure. Nitrites and ammonia would take him out.

Now let's concentrate on your ultimate fish selection. Have you developed your target list? 'Cause we gotta figure out what may be going in the tank first after the nitrite reaches zero (and of course, ammonia still doesn't exist).

Also gotta get the HOB skimmer straight. Check out the Aqua C Remoras and the CPR bakpak series. I use the smaller CPR on my smaller tanks (36 & 29). I think I've heard others speak highly of the Aqua C's. I use an Aqua C EV(larger version, in sump model) for my 155g.

One more thing. Got floor space in the laundry room (or somewhere) for another 30" tank?

OK cool. :wink: Let's consider a 20 or 29g tank for a quarantine tank (QT) to put fish in before they make it to the main. Some folks swear by never having to use QT tanks or never having parasitic outbreaks (ick, velvet), but all it takes is one new fish added to 84.5 lbs of live rock and 8 other fish to kill off all your fish and give you a huge headache.

If there was any "lingo" that is unclear, lemme know. You've seen the friendliness 'round here so you know we wold rather help than ridicule. Besides, others may be sitting there wondering the same thing - "what does that mean?" So you could be helping them out too. 8)

Yea.. I am amazed at the fast movement of the Ammonia as well.. I need to get a digi cam so I can show you my rock I got in mail - compared to store bought...

As far as fish.. I am very open as of now, of course want to start small and slow - maybe just something like what I hear clean up crew first.... some hardy shrimp perhaps or other smaller cheaper fish until I see growth on the rock...

Looking at others pics I still haev no algie of any kind growing.. so this is really a strange thing seeing these water results, but with the ph not doing anything yet will not even think of live stock yet

I do plan on getting another tank, just for QT as much as I have read it is clearly this safe way out... may have to be only a 10 gal tank though due to room I have to put anything else in.. ??

thaks a million on the skimmer recommends I have researched the Remoras , but will now compair to the other you said, never heard of that one...

Thanks a million

David

I have nothing growing -- only thing on rocks is what was on it when I got it... and it was all dead what looks like plants but very short close to rocks, some is falling off...

update........ 7.50PM

I went ahead and arranged my rocks in a display with caves and such for my future buddies... oh man my water is a MESS now

But I found a HUGE dead crab of some sort no clue as he has been dead a while, took him out..

and sadly... I did not even find my peppermint shrimp or his body :( a moment of silence please... I am a murderer (man I feel bad)

but my concern is SO MUCH crap came off the rocks moving them around and I mean a BUNCH of junk my sand is now all brown littered with crap... it looks horrible I do not dare do anything yet I think moving all those rocks around is going to really mess up my water test, I will wait till Saturday AM to test again, but how am I going to clean all this out?

Just use a standard substrate vac. Have some fresh SW made to refill with after you vacuum. Not at all surprized about the shrimp. (knew it was coming). The diatom algae will come in time. Also the purple and pink coralline on the rock will start to grow once your tank is cycled and your water parameters are OK.

AM UPDATE:

Two things .... could it be my peppermint shrimp? looks the same size but it moves very very slow now and it is completly CLEAR ????? it's movments are his own doing and not the water action, I made sure...

On my glass (I even tried to touch on out side of tank to see if It was on out side of glass)

are little bitty like 1/4 the size of a flea .. WHITE things moving around, maybe in the neighbor hood of 2 of the per inch of glass.. they move pretty fast, all i see is white, cannot make ANYTHING out as far as legs head or what ever...

Back
Top Bottom