New 90g reef ready tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh. Then a refugium is a good idea. Some algae and a light is all you need to accomplish that. You can put some live rock rubble in the bottom and/or some sand if you like, but those are not mandatory.

mr_X said:
Oh. Then a refugium is a good idea. Some algae and a light is all you need to accomplish that. You can put some live rock rubble in the bottom and/or some sand if you like, but those are not mandatory.

Ok cool, I'm guessing just a standard light won't be good enough? Ill google refugium light aswell.
I still need to grab some live rock to seed the base rock so I'll grab some rubble for the refugium then to, think I'll give the sand a miss tho.

Also any ideas on the disco that's happening on my sand bed? Lol. Or will I just have to get used to that? Was thinking maybe my LEDs are too low?

kdpuffer said:
The shimmer of light on the sand is from the lights. Led and mh both do it and most people like the shimmer.

Ok thanks, I'll just have to get used to it, maybe it
Won't Look so bad when I have my rocks in the tank, guess I'll find out later on. Thanks

Yeah, people go out of their way for that shimmer. As for the refugium light, a curly-Q energy saver bulb in a home depot clip on fixture is plenty to grow algae.

mr_X said:
Yeah, people go out of their way for that shimmer. As for the refugium light, a curly-Q energy saver bulb in a home depot clip on fixture is plenty to grow algae.

Oh rite and there is me moaning about it lol.
And thanks, you just saved me some money, i was gonna buy the DD led unit at £44 for the refugium but I'll get that one instead. Thanks again.

Hello guys, just wondering, I have my ro water stored in a 200litre water butt in my back garden is there a time limit as to when it won't be any good? I'm on holiday until tomorrow so was gonna start filling the tank up when I get back.

As long as you don't add salt to it you can keep the ro stored as long as you want . Just keep it aerated.

Hondatek said:
As long as you don't add salt to it you can keep the ro stored as long as you want . Just keep it aerated.

No no salt added to it. I'll have to buy a Powerhead for the water butt. Thanks

I've started my aquascape today all the rocks are in the tank and in place, I'm about to top up on the sand now.

As soon as I mix my saltwater up(will be mixing it in the tank), can I start my cycle?

I'll be buying some live rock next weekend so that should speed it along also.

Any thoughts?

Here's my aquascape.

Nice cave!

You have nice flat rocks. How about making tent /|\ :) 3-4 pieces standing up and meeting at top than place 2 rocks flat on top to create a overhang. Sand will keep them from moving.
Just a thought.

Heera said:
Nice cave!

You have nice flat rocks. How about making tent /|\ :) 3-4 pieces standing up and meeting at top than place 2 rocks flat on top to create a overhang. Sand will keep them from moving.
Just a thought.

Thanks (y)

I've tried so many ideas I've lost count of the amount of times I've had to knock it down because I didn't like it, I kinda had enough and thought I'd make something half decent and keep it that way otherwise i'd never finish this tank lol. Thanks for the idea anyway.

Here's a few pics with lights on.

Little update: still waiting for more ro water to be produced, hopefully have the tank full by tonight, is there a reason why my tank water stinks? Is it from the rocks?
If I succeed in filling the tank I'm gonna mix in the salt and once it's at the right levels will be starting my cycle, gonna be using pure ammonia for that. Will I be better off waiting til the weekend when I get some live rock? Or does it not matter? Also should I run my skimmer during the cycle? If read mixed opinions on that.
I'm gonna be having a refugium in the sump which will be live rock rubble (maybe a small sand bed) and some macro algae or cheato (is there any difference in the two?), and should I pick this up on the weekend also or should I wait until the cycle is complete?

Little update: still waiting for more ro water to be produced, hopefully have the tank full by tonight, is there a reason why my tank water stinks? Is it from the rocks?
If I succeed in filling the tank I'm gonna mix in the salt and once it's at the right levels will be starting my cycle, gonna be using pure ammonia for that. Will I be better off waiting til the weekend when I get some live rock? Or does it not matter? Also should I run my skimmer during the cycle? If read mixed opinions on that.
I'm gonna be having a refugium in the sump which will be live rock rubble (maybe a small sand bed) and some macro algae or cheato (is there any difference in the two?), and should I pick this up on the weekend also or should I wait until the cycle is complete?

if it's going to be a quick cycle run the skimmer right at the start. it needs a break in period anyways. if you're doing 100% dry rock and a dead shrimp/ammonia I'd leave it alone for a few weeks since the cycle could take a month.

NyteGTI said:
if it's going to be a quick cycle run the skimmer right at the start. it needs a break in period anyways. if you're doing 100% dry rock and a dead shrimp/ammonia I'd leave it alone for a few weeks since the cycle could take a month.

Ok thanks, i think i will run the skimmer then since its brand new and will need to break in.
I'm hoping it's going to be a kind of quick cycle, I'm gonna pick up some live rock this weekend to help speed things along, some for the dt and some for the sump.
Should I get some macro algae this weekend or is it best to wait til the cycle is complete?
And thanks for the reply.

I would hold off on the macro as it may compete against bacteria for food, once you start seeing nitrates is when I would add it.

kdpuffer said:
I would hold off on the macro as it may compete against bacteria for food, once you start seeing nitrates is when I would add it.

Ok perfect, thank you (y)

Back
Top Bottom