New live rock string?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTack2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bought some live rock and now I am seeing a bunch of small white tubes with two small white (looks like string) tentacles coming out of them. Can anyone tell me if they are bad for my tank?

Bought some live rock and now I am seeing a bunch of small white tubes with two small white (looks like string) tentacles coming out of them. Can anyone tell me if they are bad for my tank?

Do you have pictures ?
Sounds like filter feeding worms of some kind .

Yes but it is not allowing me to upload for some reason

hope this is the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2300.jpg
    IMG_2300.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 111
other hitch hiker

are these fire worms? and if they are should I get a shrimp or something to clean them up? I don't have any fish yet, I am just cycling right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2303.jpg
    IMG_2303.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2306.jpg
    IMG_2306.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 120
kinda surprised any critters can survive in there right now as high as my Ammonia and Nitrite are right now.

First picture looks like mini bristle starfish.
Second is a vermitid snail, I'd personally crush the tube and be done with him.

Finally, no those are bristle worms and nothing to worry about. Make sure you dont overfeed your tank or they can get huge and in a massive population. Don't touch them as well, I'm told it can be painful.

are these fire worms? and if they are should I get a shrimp or something to clean them up? I don't have any fish yet, I am just cycling right now.

They are bristle worms.
A very good addition to a clean up crew .
Amazing scavengers .
But as said their population will multiply rapidly and they will grow huge if they are over fed .
I was suggested not to touch anything in my tank without gloves on.
I got stung by my anemone after I got it . And just added a Foxface Rabbitfish ,
I'm kinda scared to put my hands in without gloves .

Bristle worms were the only thing that lived through my cycle .

My cycle test gave the following results

Ph 8.4
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 40 ppm

now I have no idea what all that means other than I am surprised the snails are still alive.

I very much appreciate all of the advice you all have given me.

also have some REALLY small, looks like little bitty shrimp.... they good too? I am thinking about getting a wrasse, to control all these little critters I am seeing.....

also have some REALLY small looks ... like little bitty shrimp.... they good too? I am thinking about getting a wrasse, to control all these little critters I am seeing.....

Search pictures of pods .
Copepods , amphipods , and Isopods .

image-2984974704.jpg

These are pictures I could find of Copepods

Attachments

• image-3784701970.jpg
    image-3784701970.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 53
also have some REALLY small, looks like little bitty shrimp.... they good too? I am thinking about getting a wrasse, to control all these little critters I am seeing.....

All these creatures are good ,
Their population will multiply as well which you want and is part of a maturing as it matures you will have thousands which some fish like mandarins will consume a large population in no time

this looks more like them though

Attachments

• Amphipods.jpg
    Amphipods.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom