New Member and New 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waffle

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello everyone just created this profile today yay happy birthday!..anyway after years of thinking and reading up on saltwater aquariums I've finally decided to start my very own. My plan is to set up a 125 gal aquarium drilled on the sides(since the tank is going in a wall), to feed down into a 55gal refugium with a coral life skimmer underneath with a 20 gal quarantine tank next to it. I would love to have a reef tank but if you guys think a FOWLR tank is the way to start off i would be happy to go that way. So I have a couple questions I'm sure you experienced aquarium hobbyist would have some knowledgeable insight on.... 1. size/how many for overflow holes and size for pvc for intake and return and how many gph each hole will take out 2. approx. how many gph overturn 3. recommended return pump any other equipment plumbing wise you think I might need??? I attached a very rough sketch on what my plan is (did not draw the return). thank you :fish2:

Attachments

• IMAG0059.jpg
    IMAG0059.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 204
The danner supreme mag pumps are the ones that I use and its the most available in my area.

But you shouldn't connect your QT tank with your system. Keep it separate.

Yeah looks like good pumps thanks.. and I am going to have a gate valve separating the quarantine tank well nowthat I think of it, it might be better to separate them thanks... How many gph should be coming out of my tank?

Following, I'm setting up a very similar set up. I was gonna use either 1" or 1 1/2" bean animal overflow, full siphon. I have a mag 9.5 for return, if I have to go bigger with return pumps I will
Supra

For your QT tank, you shouldn't have it hooked into your DT's system. You should have it seperate with a barebottom and maybe a piece of PVC in it incase you need to use copper treatment, which you do not want in your display system as it will leach into sand/rock and make it uninhabitable by inverts.

+1 to Sniper,
Your quarantine system HAS to be separate from your display, or it completely negates the purpose of a quarantine tank.
The purpose of a QT, is to isolate any possible problems outside of your main tank.

I agree with the QT idea... Supra question how many hole are needed for this system?

Bean animal ? 3 for overflow, you can do an Internet search. There's tons of information. Not sure if I should go with 1 or 1.5. On 125 w 40 sump

I would think the 1.5 would be better , more water flow would prob cut down on how many ph and fans you would need to circulate the tank, just my opinion

I just went to Lowe's and they had a very poor selection in sizes of glass hole cutting bits... I've decided to go with the bean animals overflow. Is there a one stop shop for this system for a 125 gal?

I looked it up they said 1" hole, but the pipes going for a into the sump are 1 1/2.. I'm still not sure I would appreciate someone with this system advice

Bulk reef supply dies have everything but 50$ for a PVC gate valve seems outrageous

How are you making out with your plumbing I'm still doing research on pipe and pump size? Did you pick a pump for return yet?
Supra

I had a set back due to the floor being unlevel so haven't really been focused on plumbing...but I have a old mag 5 that imma use for now until I get a another one and I'm pretty sure imma use 1" holes for the over flow

Yay just got very lucky... Found some old glass panels that a friend gave me a while back, they sure just a little wider then the 55 just got to cut then to size...made making the sump that much easier

ForumRunner_20120615_221010.jpg

Go on liveaquaria.com they have almost everything you will need. Im running a 125 reef with a 55 gal refugium and i have a hang on the back over flow with a 1 inch drain and a 1/2 inch supply with a return pump (can't remember the name) with a flow of a little over 310gph.

ForumRunner_20120617_182049.jpg

Tank looks awesome l..my tank is going between rooms so all plumbing had to be done on the sides

Back
Top Bottom