New Red Sea Max 250 - beginner questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deniseheath5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am going to try my first saltwater tank. Want to put corals and fish in.

So the tank is 66 gal - have a few questions?

Do you recommend a reef base or live sand? Brands/type/how many pounds are needed?

How many pounds of live rock?

Best type fish and corals for a beginner once tank has cycled? How many fish can go in tank this size?

Thanks for the help.

I think the sand is 1lb per gallon. Id do 1.5 or 2 for a nice sand bed. And I think the rock is too. I have 60 lbs of rock in my 55gal and 65lbs of sand. this depends how deep you want ur sandbed. When getting sand if its really fine it will float every where.

Go to live aquaria for beginner coral and fish. When you click on the tab I think they have a category for begineers. Dry rock is alot cheaper than live rock then you can seed it with a could lbs of live rock. Marcorocks.com has mixed packages and they sale sand also its called pink something sand its a good substrate.

They say 1in of fish per 10 gallons of tank. I personally dont do that im prolly more like 1in per 6 gallons of tank. Just make sure requirments are met for the fish and you will be fine. Research is everything in this hobby know it before you buy it. If walk into a fish store and can name the fish or cant tell what kind it is I wont buy it until I do my research. After a couple mistakes when you start you will prolly make rules for yourself too lol. A clown or bluegreen 3 or 4 chromis is good to cycle your tank with. I wouldnt do damsels bc they are usually highly aggressive and especially hard to catch without taking all your rock out. Have fun and im happy your in the hobby. If you have anymore questions just post then ill try to answer.

Back
Top Bottom