New setup or complete used?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Some of you have probably seen a few of my other posts. I am almost done with all of my reading/research and I am about to start buying equip. to start a FOWLR than eventually a Reef. I was going to convert one of my F/W tanks.

I have been looking in classifieds and I have found complete FOWLR and Reef setups for about $600-$2500. Some really nice ones two.

What do you all think? Is it better to buy a complete setup with massive savings even though it will be my first S/W. I figure it will already be cycled, save lots of $$, and after a while I will learn from moving, Qt's...how to start a new one when I am ready. Will I be able to maintain an established S/W with the help of AA as a S/W newbie???

Just interested in all your opinions oppose to starting a new one with new equip? For example look at this link. Although this is not my style, $500 for all this!!!! http://nh.craigslist.org/for/179190772.html

I'd say go with used setups. I saved ALOT of money buying a used 75G setup which would have costed me well over $2000 new.

i say don't do it. i've always had the most fun setting up the tank myself. not only is it a lot more fun, but you also learn things as you go. you do save money the other way, but why get into a hobby that's just about saving money? it's all your choice though, and either way we wish you good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I really don't know how confident I am buying from complete strangers anyway but it is a lot cheaper. I think that starting from the begining probably is much better to learn but I still have about a month before I want to start. My biggest concern was would I be able to maintain an established S/W tank never having one before. I don't know?

Go check out the setup, if it looks like crap don't buy it. You can get some great deals buying used. How old is the tank, lighting and pumps your looking at? Is it the type of setup you want? Why is the guy selling it? have they ever used meds in the tank?
You can save a lot of money and you will still be setting up the tank so you will get to learn how things work when you break down and setup in the same day.
I have picked up some great items from reefers getting out of the hobby.
If you can save some big$$ buy getting used items I say go for it.. Again it all depends on what condition the stuff is in.

Back
Top Bottom