new stocking plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
would high power flouresents be fine for the corals that require less light?
What is "high power" flouresents? When thinking of lighting for corals think about penetration power. Corals depend on light, therefore, the light needs to get through the water and down to the corals. NO Four. lighitng is just not strong enough to penetrate the water, it does not really matter how many watts you have. A better choice is CF or VHO lighting. It is more intense and has better penetration power. You can keep a wide variety of corals under this type of light. If you have a desire to keep high light demanding corals/inverts then look at MH lighting. Lighting is pretty complex and best left to a new thread.
does a topless tank lose water faster?
Yes. Evaporation will happen at a higher rate. It will also allow for better gas exchange and a more stable Ph.
do you know of a website i could look at glass covers?
Any tank manufacturer sells glass covers to fit their tanks.

high output flouresent* is what i meant but i think i will have to get alot of money and see if i can get metal halides because i want to be able to get anenomes, zoanthids, and leather corals

without a cover will snails be able to escape? the fish i chose wont be able to jump out will they?

i kinda want to get the green clams later on too

high output flouresent* is what i meant but i think i will have to get alot of money and see if i can get metal halides because i want to be able to get anenomes, zoanthids, and leather corals
Like I said, the lighting can be covered in it's own thread. You do not need MH lighting for zoos or leathers, CF will be just fine. Anemones, for the most part, may require MH depending on species.

without a cover will snails be able to escape? the fish i chose wont be able to jump out will they?
no, your snails will stay in the water. Some fish have a reputation for being "jumper", most do not. I have always run topless on mt large reef and never had a problem.

the yellow tang and clownfish arent jumpers are they? in the conscientous marine aquarist i read that they catch tangs with small nets below the water because they cant swim upward very fast at all so they shouldnt be able to just out of tanks right?

ok, what do you recomend i feed the fish, will they eat the same food or do they eat different food and need to be fed at seperate times?

you said the lights have to be inches off the surface of the water the lights i was planning on buying are only like 2 or 3 inches from the water with the tank full, is that enough?

No. They should be clear of the water by 6-9inches if you do not have a glass cover.

would tank raised clowns be friendly to other species of clown?
what do you think about a "beginner" getting sea horses?

seahorses require very special care and a species only tank. (for more info check out seahorse.org) it is not advised for a beginner to get them. wait until you have the knack for sw before attempting these delacate creatures. :)

skip the seahorses for now. Once more...only one species of clown in your tank.

They are one of the few butterflies that are sort of reef safe. I have never had trouble with mine. It did, however, take care of all my feather dusters.

Back
Top Bottom