Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #1

new stocking plans

im getting a 55 gallon tank instead of the planned 40 so i need to make changes to my list( im going to have 15 lbs live rock and 60 base rock

fish
-2 percula clownfish(or 2 maroons)
-1 yellow tang

inverts
-2 cleaner shrimp
-1 camel shrimp
(any other shrimp?)
-6 fiddler crabs
-10 blue leg hermits
-1 horse shoe crab
-10 red leg hermits
-2 emerald crabs
-10 turbo snails
-10 cerith snails
-1 or 2 green brittle starfish
-eventually get some kind of clam

what should i buy to feed all of them because i dont think there will be enough algae created in the tank(should i wait until the tank is infested with algaes before i get the inverts(i will get the fish at the same time or later)) is it possible for me to get rid of the emerald crabs and get 12 fiddler crabs?

please let me know of any concerns or recommendations you have

thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get a couple peppermint shrimp instead of the camel. Fiddler crabs? A species would help. The only "fiddler crabs" I am aware of are FW and require oxygen. I would also skip the horse shoe crab. They tend to die of starvation in home tanks. They are aggressive eaters and ca deplete the substrate of fauna in no time.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:50 PM   #3

it says they are red fiddler crabs and i was looking at them at fish supply.com. it has them with all the other saltwater stuff so idk

i was thinking about the pepperment shrimp but it says that they sometimes eat coral is there anything i can do about that?

what do i do with feeding all of them?

thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Camels are know more for coral munching then peppermints are. You can feed any type of sinking algae, pellets or waffers.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #5

emerald crabs are a must right?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are not a must but do help in clean-up duties. They are a nice addition. I would skip the "fiddler crabs".
Old 03-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #7

none of the crabs will bother the shrimp right?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

they shouldn't.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I concur with Lando. Also since it is a new tank I would look as going with half now and half in a month or so if that is an option. Down the road with a 55g you could even add more hermits and snails. I think the general rule is 1/gallon, so 30 or so of each should not be a streach once the tank is more established.

One brittle star is probably enough and then look at some kind of banded serpeant stra for variety. You will not see either much though as they tend to hide.

Do you have any other plans for fish or is three it? Don't get me wrong because three is plenty, I only ask because if you go with Maroon clowns (love them and own a pair) they can be quite agressive and possibly should be added later depending on what your long term fish goals are.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #10

ive been thinking about the fish and i just want 2 or 3(wanted maroons but i also want other fish soo...) types of clowns, but i read that they should not be kept together.
so its
-2 or 3 true percula clowns
-1 yellow tang(what do i do with the annemome when i get it. wont the anenome sting and kill all non-clown fish?
-1 copperband butterfly- but i dont think it would be wise at all

ps just got the book " the conscientious marine aquarist" so this should help me alot

Tags
stocking, stocking plan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com