Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Kio707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyman16
I want to get the water level higher in my sump..how could I go about that?
It's not a top-off and it's not a water change just make the water level higher about 6-7 inches
Would I add saltwater or freshwater?
Either or. The fresh won't really mess with ur salinity...
__________________

__________________
Kio707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707

Either or. The fresh won't really mess with ur salinity...
Well I went ahead and added saltwater, salinity was at 1.022 so I figured it would raise it some!
And I have completed my refugium!!
__________________

__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Move the filter tray to the bottom with a filter pad on it then added one piece of live rock then a "baseball size" clump if chaeto(my good friend works at my lfs so this was his idea of a baseball size clump!) bought some plexiglass but haven't gotten it cut yet so I just have the light on by a clamp so that I could take a picture and look at it but here it is!
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Looks pretty good army man!!
Hope your B-day went well.
If you raise up your water, you have to make sure that if power goes out, you've either got a siphon break( which can be just a hole in the outflow tube below the water line in the DT) or there Is enough space in the sump to receive all the water siphoned out of the DT. Either way will work, if not, you get a big mess on the floor!
The only other thing I would suggest is to try to minimize the amount of bubbles entering your refugium. I've noticed that trapped air among the plants will cause die off. I made a deflector shield out of plexiglas, so bubbles would go to the top at the entrance of the refugium. A piece of filter floss would serve the same purpose though, as long as it was regularly changed or cleaned, it wouldn't be an organics problem.
Other than that, I think it looks great, good work!
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Looks pretty good army man!!
Hope your B-day went well.
If you raise up your water, you have to make sure that if power goes out, you've either got a siphon break( which can be just a hole in the outflow tube below the water line in the DT) or there Is enough space in the sump to receive all the water siphoned out of the DT. Either way will work, if not, you get a big mess on the floor!
The only other thing I would suggest is to try to minimize the amount of bubbles entering your refugium. I've noticed that trapped air among the plants will cause die off. I made a deflector shield out of plexiglas, so bubbles would go to the top at the entrance of the refugium. A piece of filter floss would serve the same purpose though, as long as it was regularly changed or cleaned, it wouldn't be an organics problem.
Other than that, I think it looks great, good work!
Haha yes! I got some money to put into my aquariums and towards my first car! There is surprisingly enough room! When I had the water level down low last week I tested it Andre water level only rose about 2 inches before the lines on the overflow box were at the bottom..
So if I added just a piece of filter pad where the water from first chamber is entering the second chamber it would get rid of almost all bubbles?
Could you take a pic of your thing that your talking about to stop bubbles?
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
Sure, but my refuge might be set-up different as far as where the water enters.
Please excuse the mess, wasn't expecting company!! Lol

Attachment 98925

Water comes in the slot towards the bottom and the shield directs any small bubbles to the surface
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Sure, but my refuge might be set-up different as far as where the water enters.
Please excuse the mess, wasn't expecting company!! Lol

Water comes in the slot towards the bottom and the shield directs any small bubbles to the surface
Haha yeah that seems like an easier fix! Where my water comes in at I'd from the top, above the water line so its kind of noisy too! Trying to think of a noise canceling idea as well! Here's a pic of it if you have any ideas
An I don't have any of those long leaves in mine like you do..is that bad?
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
I would just put a piece of filter material, that floss stuff that comes in a square pad, right in front of it. It would quiet it down and stop the bubbles. You'd just have to make sure you kept it maintained.
As far as the long stuff in the fuge, It's called Prolifera. I've got Chaeto, Caulerpa, and Prolifera in there. Before I got Chaeto, that's all my LFS had. It all really needs a trim, I'm pretty lax at cutting it back. The only thing my Tangs will eat is the Caulerpa... Figures.
Good luck Armyman!
__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
armyman16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
I would just put a piece of filter material, that floss stuff that comes in a square pad, right in front of it. It would quiet it down and stop the bubbles. You'd just have to make sure you kept it maintained.
As far as the long stuff in the fuge, It's called Prolifera. I've got Chaeto, Caulerpa, and Prolifera in there. Before I got Chaeto, that's all my LFS had. It all really needs a trim, I'm pretty lax at cutting it back. The only thing my Tangs will eat is the Caulerpa... Figures.
Good luck Armyman!
Haha thanks, ive heard chaeto is the easiest to take care of so I think I'll stick with that for now!
When should i start trimming this stuff?
__________________
armyman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flreefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,984
You just don't want a massive ball, in case it died off and returned all those nutrients back to your tank. The purpose here is for nutrient export. There is no export, if you don't trim and remove it. I let mine grow prob more than I should, but I observe my tank daily, and I like it to look all grown in.
__________________

__________________
Flreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.