New T5's and I need a lid....help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got my T5 HO lights and they are amazing. I know the best thing is to leave the top open but I have a wrasse and a 3 year old boy. he hasn't tried to put anything in the tank yet but I know it is only a matter of time. I was going to use glass lids until I put one of them on and noticed how much light the "clear" glass blocked. is there a better solution to my problem. I don't want a canopy for this tank. Is low Iron glass better. maybe acrylic or should I just go to Home Depot and get egg crate. I don't really like the look of the egg crate but if that is the only thing that will light through so be it.

You can pick up what they call reflective egg crate @ home depot, it's used in fluorescent fixtures. I couldn't find it on the HD home page (The web page stinks) but here is a link to what it looks like so you can get an idea of what it looks like.Malcolite Plastics | Parabolic Louvers I know the depot has it.

Thats an amzing idea!! I think i might do that as well when i need to cover my tank. I really want to get an eel so thats why i need a lid. Great find infernoST

Thats an amzing idea!! I think i might do that as well when i need to cover my tank. I really want to get an eel so thats why i need a lid. Great find infernoST
I wish it was my idea, it's one of the many thing I learned on AA.:D

One thing I almost forgot was I'm not sure they will stand up to the heat from MH lamps.

The reason for the open top and not using glass is that glass traps CO2 gas and that would cause a large drop in your PH.
Remember that egg crate has a top and a bottom, One side has a bevel that shoots the light straight down and the other side diffuse the light causing less light to enter your tank.

You can also add a 1/4" netting. You can buy the aluminum frames at HomeDepot and it's very good at letting air in and CO2 out.
1)
img_1005062_0_bbdca5157954c60763615136d683c9ec.jpg

2)
img_1005062_1_0b691fe412aa0ad5b3b9ff95cdb4cec7.jpg

3)
4)
img_1005062_2_99a6284c76bb195a970779f83e9cc3a1.jpg

5)
img_1005062_3_ecf9eb3bbc02d80730e20c249dcf6abe.jpg

I think innovator has a link for the netting.
Fairly easy to make, even for a person like me with all thumbs.

Back
Top Bottom