new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pYrOmAnIaC

Aquarium Advice Regular
im gettin a new 240g tank and i was wonderin if ne1 had ne good ideas about what i should get....i would want to add a banded cat shark in the batch :D

How much experience do you have with sw? The banded cat shark is supposed to be for experts only, so I don't want to see you get it and have it die on you shortly there after!

iv been keepin a 10 gallon saltwater w/ 2 damsels for about 2 years so i would still consider myself a newbie but i know plenty of people that u could consider experts and iv been readin a lot about sharks

10 to 240? Dosen't sound to good I hope you realise the equipment you'll need. Rememebr you will need plenty of flow and LR, and LS. I kept a banded cat in a 55, for a few years and it did fine. Only GOD knows how he really felt, but that was back in the day. Anyways it can be done, and if ur gonna put rock in the main set smaller chunks towards the back so he has plenty of room. Then possibly get a large sump and fill that to the TOP with rock. Also get a good skimmer, and do your water changes. It can be done, but i highly doubt your even close to ready since all you've ever had were damsels. The water changes would also be a chore with such a tank. Mabye you should reconsider?

y r sharks so hard to keep??????????????????????......some sites say that they r for experts only but some sites say that they are pretty easy to maintain if u have a large enough aquarium

Because there very sensitive to bad water quality. Since they have no scales there also able to get rashes on their udnersides, and they can be iritated easily. If you have an ammonia spike or high nitrates, he could easily die. There really not that cool anyways trust me I had one. All they do is sit on the bottom........... :|

Honestly, I would stay away form the sharks. These animals are best left in the wild or in large public aquariums. I would say to keep a shark happy and healthy you will need a minimum of 500 gal, long and shallow tank with plenty of swimming room. I agree with six, any shark you get in your tank will actually be pretty boring. They do not really do much. Be a responsible keeper and stick with animals that will thrive in your tank.

I agree with you guys, sharks are like toys to new fish keepers. I wanted a shark and still do but I will never get one. I have seen several beautiful sharks at LFS, usually they are just sitting in the corner. It is best to have a really long shallow tank for sharks than a regular dimension tank anyway.

yeah after reading some stories i decided that sharks are a little (way) too hard to keep for my standards lol

Back
Top Bottom