new tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only your nh3/no2 test readings will tell you that. If it’s really “cured” then probably not.

I haven't purchased the rock yet, the tank has sand, water and base rock in it now. Just trying to figure out the best way to cycle it, have read many mixed opinions. My first tank was cycled with fish and I am trying to cycle this one fishless.

Could it really hurt to add the shrimp to help fuel the cycle? I guess it could stink but otherwise why not add the source of ammonia...

You don’t have to get all lr. You could do a 50\50 mix of base/lr from www.hirocks.com which will turn to lr in a year or two. Both provide the necessary porous nature to provide bio-filtration. The use of shrimp doesn’t usually smell at all if you use 1 large one per 40 gal. or about 4 or 5 in your case. It will create the necessary bacteria even if your lr/ls doesn’t. Better to error on the side of caution than to have fish/invert death because you didn’t.

do you just throw the shrimp in? do you use some sort of netting to keep it in one place? does the shrimp completly breakdown, where nothing will be left? :?

Just throw it in, it will usually sink to the bottom. Most of it will dissolve during the cycling period (4-6 weeks) but I would remove any large pieces if it doesn’t, no sense in adding to your no3 if you don’t have too.

Do you have access to some already cured LR and/or live sand? This is where local clubs and fellow hobbyists in your area can really come in handy. This is called "seeding" your tank and, IMO, is much easier to attain the cycle and get the bacteria going. Using the raw shrimp isn't a bad idea, but there are other ways. Go to your lfs and ask them for a cup full of their sand from their sump or their LR curing tank.

I have a 2 year old 37 gallon tank that I can take some sand from and was thinking of getting 120 lbs - 160 lbs of cured live rock. Am I better off just seeding the tank with a cup of my sand and putting the cured live rock in and let it do its thing?

I would not bother with the shrimp if I could add that much LR. Just add the LR and it will do the trick. :)

Back
Top Bottom