New Tank--dead emerald crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keitech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 100 gallons tank is in its 2nd Week. As I've informed before, I have about 12 fish in there. Most of them are damzels and one clown percula fish.

Our second emerald crab died yesterday. Since the tank is going through its cycel, is it wise to keep it (the crab) in the tank? I thought it may help the tank speed up its cycling process. Currently there are some sign of nitrate.

Thanks,

Unfortunately the crab won't help. And you probably are only seeing the beginning of dead fish. Has this tank only been running for 2 weeks? Thats alot of fish in there to "start" a tank. You are now probablt finding out that this way was not the best way to do it.

If it is possible, you should take the fish out of the tank and back to the LFS and do a non-fish cycle of your tank. Sometimes this is not possible. Damsels are pretty hardy fish and most will probably survive the cycle but the stress will be very much for them.

What are you water parameters now? Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?

Maybe we can help you through this with out much loss. The folks here are good. They know alot. You will probably hear some things you may not like but it will be for the good of the fish and youself if you intend to stay in this hobby.

Mike

leaving the crab in will only make things worse...it'll add to the ammonia levels, and you most assuradly have too much ammonia already.

12 fish in a 2 week old tank?
Thats early to add so many fish to me.

Test your water often and make as many water changes as you need to keep your levels good.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom