Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-23-2004, 11:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
new tank set up advice

ok got the new 125 i think?!?!?! its 6" long 22 1/2" high 19" wide the glass is 1/2" thick with no center braces which makes me happy

now i was wanting to go with the a surge set up but the girlfriend isnt wanting the noise or the look of buckets on top of the tank :-( she been giving me a hard time about it !
my other thoughts are :
1. get two tunze streams pumps but one thing i dont know about is if i bought these two pumps can i add a controller later ? im thinking not :-(
i cant buy the set with the controller right now a bit much ! also if not could they handle being on a timer ya think?
2. my other thought is to go with two large external pumps one on each end on timers and make a closed loop using pvp with holes to the feed to the pumps !
3. not real sure which external can or would be better on timers ? not looking at mag drives more in line with dolphin/sedra/md/iwaki if i can but $$$ mabe quite one would even work !
im leaning toward the larger pumps due to the fact i dont really want any power heads in the tank and if i did tunze prob be the only one id go for on this tank ! any thought ideas would help on my final choice/planning thanks
btw this my 1st 6' tank

good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maybe on large monster pump like a Mag 12 or 18 and use a SCWD? Do it in a sump. Do your have built in overflows?
I run a 12 this way and its pretty quiet.
what is it you don't like about mags?

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
well the tank isnt drilled ! i should receive my duel tube over flow tomorrow !
i was gonna use a scwd on the return and prob use my mag 24 on that i know its more than the scwd can handle but ill split the return from the pump to a 55 ! im going to have the 125 in the living room and 2 55 gallon tanks along with the sump on the other side of the wall !
the prob with mag drives ive heard that the housing can crack and or leak if its ran external ! pluss they run so hot imo ! why i was wanting to know what external pump around 2000 gph that could handle being on timers ! this way id set up the over the back duel loops and have them on timers along with the return scwd !
i can get a good deal on a pump like this for the loop
just unsure the best way to go now !
but this pumps only uses 160 watts for 3000 gph and a mag 18 uses 145 for 1800 big difference ya know !! thats why they run so hot !
good luck keith
scuba_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

set up, tan, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com