new tank, stocking Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majolo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. Recently found this forum, looks very helpful!

I'm going to set up a 55 gal tank after a trip this month, and I wanted to run my ideas past the folks here:

1 or 2 pearl gourami
12 (or more?) black neon tetras or Pristellas
6 upside down cats

I gather from my reading that that should leave a little extra capacity if I want to get an algae eater or something later (or do the cats count as algae eaters?). My questions:

1. Any compatibility issues? Any of these fish hard for a beginner?
2. Will a single gourami be content? Most books seem to recommend pairs, but I didn't know if that was for people who want them to breed (I don't).
3. Are the cats totally nocturnal, or are will they be out in the day sometimes? The third slot was for a fish with some unusual behavior. I wanted dwarf loaches for their alleged playfulness, but they seem hard to find around here.

I could go on, but I'll stop for now. thanks for your comments!

PS: I don't have a test kit yet, so don't ask about my water...I'll get one soon.

I'm not sure about the USD cats, but I'll comment on the gouramis.

I'd go with a trio of gouramis. I'd try to get 1 male and 2 females. Having 2 could cause problems as some gouramis don't get along too well. Pearls are one of the most peaceful gouramis, but 2 males may still have some issues. If you can't find females, I'd just get one.

Getting only one gourami is usually better than two. 3+ (with mostly or all females) usually works fine though.
How big do those cats get? I'm not really familiar with those in particular but most catfish are predators and will usually eat fish small enough to fit in their mouth. If they get bigger than 4", I think 6 would be a bit much in that tank.

Welcome to AA! I have 3 Pearl gouramis together but one gourami would be fine IMO. Catfish aren't the same as plecos, I would recommend a bristlenose pleco or 2 for your tank. They stay small and do a fantastic job.

I believe the upside down catfish will come out quite often in the daytime.

Back
Top Bottom