New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberNachtfalke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm looking into a SW aquarium. I'm 14, have a lot of time on my hands, and money isn't much of an obstacle.

I'd like to get a 100 gallon tank to start. I would like to have a wonderful assortment of coral and fish in the tank, and have read up about the subject a little bit. I was just wondering on what everybody's suggestions were on what to put in the tank. From what I've read on these forums, compared to my book, the book seems awfully outdated. It still suggests using undergravel filtration systems and cycling the tank using fish. Personally, it seems outdated.

I was just wondering, without going all out and taking up a ton of space and money, what everybody would suggest for starting with? It's been slightly difficult to gather what I really ought to use for the aquarium, with a lot of information coming from different sources.

Thank you. :)
-Nacht

First I would suggest going to the "articles" link at the top of this page. LOTS of useful info there.

Some books are outdated. I think even the much-touted "Consciencious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner is getting to be more and more out-dated, but it still has lots of useful info. (He advocates UGF systems and fresh-water dips, as I recall, both now not encouraged). And by the way, he's still around, and in the hobby. Maybe he'll write a new version.

PS. To the experts: Are there any really NEW up-to-date books which could join Fenner on the "Must read" list? Nacht and the rest of us could benefit!

From what I understand now, it's better to use a sump (I already have several 5 gallon tanks that I wouldn't mind aside for the purpose), and filter it through some rocks and some filter floss. If somebody has a link with some pictures or an alternate suggestion to this, I'd appreciate it. Also, with this, would I need a protein skimmer also? Would a sump aerate the water enough that I wouldn't need to do anything else to it?

As for lighting, for such a large tank, and approximately 3-6 watts per gallon, I'd need several fluorescent bulbs. In the book I have, I read something about it being important to include specific spectrums of light. Would I be fine buying 4 fluorescent bulbs from the LFS after deciding what exactly I want to put in the tank?

As for a tank stand, I have no problem there. There's a cabinetry place down the street "Brakur Custom Cabinetry", I'm sure they'd be more than happy to have me come down, throw money at them, and build something strong, good looking, and functional. (Hey, they might even build a hood to go with it)

That's a great idea. Stands that are functional AND good looking are hard to come by. All the ones locally are crap, I had to bribe my roommate with beer to build me one.

In our old house, they did a LOT of custom work for the bar in the basement. Some parts of it were 4" thick solid oak (The lip of the bar). All of the cabinets, etc were all custom too.

The cabinets in my dad's new house (Where I'm conveniently typing this from), are Brakur as well. Nice company. Not too much of a money hoard, but nobody can resist anything when you can throw money at them.

EDIT:
Just looking around, found a few prices. Would probably do a 50 gallon tank, as it allows me more freedom as to where I would place it. Would probably have the place build a small overflow into one corner of the tank. The overflow would run to a sump. The sump would do what a normal sump does (Duh), and then it will be pumped back up to the other side of the tank. I'm going to put in some sort of smooth waterfall-y mechanism in order to prevent splashing and noise.

General List of Things:
1x 50Gal Tank (Main Tank)
1x 5Gal or 10Gal Tank (Sump)
2x Won Pro II 250W Heaters
1x ??? Submersible Pump
^^ Not Finished.. Just a Start

I would suggest at a miniumum a 10 galllon tank for you sump..
Actually I would recomend looking around for a good skimmer and basing how big the sump will need to be on how big the skimmer you get is..

!0 gallon minimum. You could definitely with that size tank go to a 30-40 gallon sump

Alright, what would be a good setup for a 75 gallon aquarium then? It would still be large, but also fit in more spaces. Probably a 75-gallon reef ready from Oceanic Systems. (A local retailer is selling them for $400 each) I think they come with sumps too. If not, it wouldn't break me to build one. They seem like nice tanks. Anybody have any experiences?

Are you planning on corals, because if you are not then the watt per gallon rule does not apply. If you are planning on corals than standard fluorescents won't get you anything. Metal halides or compact fluorescents are the way to go. Here is a list of things:
Sump with return pump
Good skimmer
2 heaters
100 pounds of lr
75 pounds of SAND not cc
and whatever lights that you think you will need

-Definately planning on corals. Are there really specific types of MH/CF lights that are better for different types of fishes or coral? Should I leave on a blue or uv light during the night or something?
-Not quite sure if Oceanic includes a sump or not. If not, does anybody have any suggestions or sketches on what I should make it as?
-For the heaters, I'm looking at good 250-300watt titanium heaters that are "smart" if you'd put it that way. AKA: Set it at 78F, and forget it (Regular checks of course)
-About how much will 100lbs of liverock cost? Liverocks.com is down, which is where many people suggest, so I'm not sure on what I'm going to spend there.
-rl180reef.com suggests several types of live rock over the course of a year or two. Would it be beneficial to add some live rock in the sand?
-There's an article on growing coral up in the articles link. Can anybody expand on this a little bit more? Maybe some pictures of your coral farms, etc. Do you suppose the LFS would buy any extra coral off of me (Really don't like the idea of shipping coral to anybody... UPS and USPS are bad. FedEx... maybe)

TIA
-Nacht

About how much will 100lbs of liverock cost? Liverocks.com is down, which is where many people suggest, so I'm not sure on what I'm going to spend there.

Quite a bit. Do you have LFS around you that sells LR? Sometimes, they can order special amounts just for you, and might be able to get it a bit cheaper. I always think finding something locally is a good idea, versus having it shipped in, but sometimes that's just not possible. My first guess is going to be over $600 for 100 pounds of good LR, but I've never oredered from lr.com, so I can't be sure.
For the heaters, I'm looking at good 250-300watt titanium heaters that are "smart" if you'd put it that way. AKA: Set it at 78F, and forget it (Regular checks of course)

Most heaters nowadays are self regulating, which is nice. VisiTherm and EboJager seems to be the most prefered brands. I have both (Ebo on my reef tank, VT on my fresh tanks) and I have no complaints about either. I'd go with the visitherm however, as it's fully submersible, and there have been some issues with the ebo's shorting out and not being quite so submersible. :roll:

-Do I need any type of current to keep the tank healthy, or is it just for my personal enjoyment?
-Definately planning on corals. Are there really specific types of MH/CF lights that are better for different types of fishes or coral? Should I leave on a blue or uv light during the night or something?
-Not quite sure if Oceanic includes a sump or not. If not, does anybody have any suggestions or sketches on what I should make it as?
-rl180reef.com suggests several types of live rock over the course of a year or two. Would it be beneficial to add some live rock in the sand?
-There's an article on growing coral up in the articles link. Can anybody expand on this a little bit more? Maybe some pictures of your coral farms, etc. Do you suppose the LFS would buy any extra coral off of me (Really don't like the idea of shipping coral to anybody... UPS and USPS are bad. FedEx... maybe)
-Any suggestions on an in-like skimmer?
-Do I need a calcium reactor or anything for the tank?

^^ A couple new questions plus any repeated not answered. :)

Alright. I'm looking at a 90 gallon tank. ThatPetPlace has a 48x18x25 90gal rectangle tank for $337.99 from Oceanic. They also have a bowfront 90gal for $608.99. A bit expensive for the bowfront, so will likely just stick with the rectangular one. (If in the case that I did have enough money for the bow, I'd just buy a 120gal anyways :lol: )
Haven't been able to scope out a LFS in a while, so not sure about the prices around here. There are some awfully nice stores in the naperville/chicago area though.

Want to do a LR-Skimmer-Bubble Trap-Pump style sump. Will probably do a 30 or 40 gallon sump, depending on how much room I have. Will I need anything else to help maintain the reef in here? Calcium reactor or anything else like that?

For heaters, I'm really really worried about a glass one exploding in the tank. I've heard many'a horror stories about how all of the fish got stressed, and died, and then the reef turned some weird color and died. What's the chances of that happening? If the chances are high enough, I would definately shell out the extra money for titanium heaters.

Lights I like. Lights are expensive. Lighte break me :(. PC lights seem to use less electricity than MH lights though, so they're worth it to me. This Kit is the one that I'm looking at for mounting the lights under the hood. Any tank that I'm going to get will be 48" long anyways. Will 4 55W bulbs be enough though, or should I get two fixtures? Was thinking about putting 50/50 bulbs in there (Blue/white), or should I go just 10,000k? Will I need night lights.

I'm thinking about putting some way in order to put little currents in the tank to make it more realistic. Is it worth getting special current equipmnt, or does it provide no benefit?
TIA
-Nacht

For heaters, I'm really really worried about a glass one exploding in the tank. I've heard many'a horror stories about how all of the fish got stressed, and died, and then the reef turned some weird color and died. What's the chances of that happening? If the chances are high enough, I would definately shell out the extra money for titanium heaters.

I've never had that problem. If you have large fish in your tank though, you may opt out of the glass ones. I know some will smash them against the glass.
I'm thinking about putting some way in order to put little currents in the tank to make it more realistic. Is it worth getting special current equipmnt, or does it provide no benefit?

A few powerheads are a must, IMO. Fish love it, and it keeps your rock free of detritus. Also can help combat cyano, which loves dead flow areas.
Will 4 55W bulbs be enough though, or should I get two fixtures? Was thinking about putting 50/50 bulbs in there (Blue/white), or should I go just 10,000k? Will I need night lights.

That would be 2.4 WPG. Enough to house some lower light corals. You can find something with a bit more wattage. IMO, you should go with 2 24 inch fixtures.

http://www.hellolights.com/242xcoraqpch1.html
Alright. I'm looking at a 90 gallon tank. ThatPetPlace has a 48x18x25 90gal rectangle tank for $337.99 from Oceanic. They also have a bowfront 90gal for $608.99. A bit expensive for the bowfront, so will likely just stick with the rectangular one. (If in the case that I did have enough money for the bow, I'd just buy a 120gal anyways )

Check your local newspaper. You might be able to find one for about half of that, and save a ton of money. Always lots of people who are desperate to get rid of tanks. :wink:

HTH

Back
Top Bottom