New to salt tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharlene

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. We are new to all of this and researching how to set up a new saltwater tank. My 12 year old daughter showed great care and interest in her freshwater tank and is dying to set up a saltwater. I have heard many opinions both ways. We are thinking a 29 gallon to start. Any tips and advice to get started would be appreciated. Thanks

Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies. And there are a bunch of things on line. Just google something like "setting up saltwater aquarium". I have a 29 gal Biocube by Oceanic, might be a good choice as it is an all in one tank. Just need to add a heater. There are other all in ones like JBJ, solana, etc. just look up nano tanks or all in one tanks. ONLY use saltwater from your lfs(local fish store) or get a reverse osmosis/ deionization(ro/di) unit to make your own at home. Never use tap. Get a master test kit to test your water. A good one too. Not the test strips. There is way too much to go on about. But I feel these are a couple of the musts for starting a saltwater tank. The heater for the tank is a must have. Just read and read and get information from different sources. Dont trust your Lfs unless you know them well. Not saying they are all no good, but they are there to make money and some just don't have the most knowledgeable staff. Good luck.

Another great alternitive to getting your own ro\di unit or buying water from your lfs is to go to the grocery store and buy the water in the jugs you can refill by yourself. It is ro water and after the initial 70 cents per gal you just take the jugs back in with you and refill them. That can keep the investment down a little since its only a 29 gal tank and you should only have to change 5 gal or so at a time. Only 2 bucks every 2 weeks. also again welcome to the forum

I was doing that, but the pre made saltwater from my Lfs was the same cost as the jugs from the grocer, which I then had to buy salt for. Depends on what your circumstances are, but that is another alternative to consider.

Welcome
The best advice is to go slow only bad things seems to happen fast in saltwater. Research everything for yourself ask the lfs and here but do your own research. If you asked 10 different people what they would put in a tank the size you are going to put up chances are you would get 10 different answers.

Two things that I wouldn't do without is a liquid test kit and a refractometer.

thank you so much, great advice and I will get those things:)

+1 on being patient. Don't rush anything it can only hurt the tank. Also test the water a lot. And while testing follow the directions word for word or you will get a bad reading

mhayes462 said:
Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies. And there are a bunch of things on line. Just google something like "setting up saltwater aquarium". I have a 29 gal Biocube by Oceanic, might be a good choice as it is an all in one tank. Just need to add a heater. There are other all in ones like JBJ, solana, etc. just look up nano tanks or all in one tanks. ONLY use saltwater from your lfs(local fish store) or get a reverse osmosis/ deionization(ro/di) unit to make your own at home. Never use tap. Get a master test kit to test your water. A good one too. Not the test strips. There is way too much to go on about. But I feel these are a couple of the musts for starting a saltwater tank. The heater for the tank is a must have. Just read and read and get information from different sources. Dont trust your Lfs unless you know them well. Not saying they are all no good, but they are there to make money and some just don't have the most knowledgeable staff. Good luck.

We just came from the lfs. We bought a Biocube by Oceanic like you suggested. We started to feel a little overwhelmed by everything and that really seemed like a great way to start with everything in it we need. We did buy the heater and are excited to get it set up. We are going back for our live rock once it's set up. We have a few books now and are reading up on everything.Thanks for the great advice!

Now that you have the biocube, there are tons of build threads of other peoples tanks on them. Just google biocube 29 and you will find tons of info. Be forewarned though, those tanks are one of the most modified out there. Including mine :) It can get overwhelming, so take it slow and youll be fine. There are a couple of things that are widely agreed upon to make these tanks awesome tanks. If you want to have the best filtration, I suggest doing a couple of simple modifications. First the stock filter gets clogged fast, and the bio balls will lead to problems if not regularly maintained. I suggest yanking both. There is a company that makes a media rack(a three level stand that almost all biocube owners put filter on the top tier, purigen on the 2nd, and chemi-pure elite on the bottom tier). Adding that will also free up room if you want to add a skimmer or a refugium (or both) and makes maintenance a breeze and the filtration is top notch. It easily fits where the bio balls are and the companys customer support is top notch and can answer any questions and take the confusion out of everything. Also, feel free to ask any questions you may have, you can even pm me if you need to. This was my first saltwater tank also, so I know how it is. You can absolutely have a great tank just the way it is if you don't want to modify it. Although, the stock filter will clog a lot and cost u an arm and a leg. There is a simple solution to that also. If you would like to look into the company I am referring to, just pm me and I can give you their name. I think he is even on this forum also. And you can call him and he'll be glad to help. No question is stupid, and some people may tell you to search for the question you are asking, but I say just ask it or pm me and I'd be glad to help. Hope you're ready to spend a lot of time with your tank, because it's addicting. Enjoy.

Congrats on the purchase! One tip for you. IMO put the live rock in while cycling it will cure it and help build the bacteria faster and in the process will cure the rock. Its the best way I have found to cycle a tank that way the die off from the rock will fuel your cycle.

jwalsh said:
Congrats on the purchase! One tip for you. IMO put the live rock in while cycling it will cure it and help build the bacteria faster and in the process will cure the rock. Its the best way I have found to cycle a tank that way the die off from the rock will fuel your cycle.

We're getting our live rock tomorrow to start cycling the tank, we're excited to get started:)

Back
Top Bottom