Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to kurtyboh Send a message via Skype™ to kurtyboh
Before, anything beneficial growing in your fuge gets skimmed out othrrwise

Old 07-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #122
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you want to keep your pod population I would go with skimmer in the first section. Also wont suck anything in from the refugium.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok so before the refugium. Thank you. I suppose i can do a search to find out what and when to add to it besides the 3 inch sand bed , lr, and macro.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats pretty much what goes in there, those 3 things. You can get different kinds of macro and add pods to it to help a population along. Some people put fish or inverts in there if they are being harassed in the DT, or other things like snails. Me, I just have the basic three in mine. SO far the macro seems to be doing it's job as my nitrates just measured at 0.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #125
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats amazing. Ha, what are pods? Im also starting to read your last 125 build too.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Pods are little creatures that look almost like lice that live in your refugium and on your live rock. Very helpful creatures. Fish eat them as well, some fish eat them exclusive of other food too. Mandarins and other dragonets eat them instead of prepared foods so some people really like to have alot of them.

Theres a lot of good information people shared in that build thread, it's a bit long to read but everyone on this forum contributed to it.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

Iy is a massive thread for sure, so i hope youre not doing much the next few days
Old 07-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #128
Aquarium Advice Addict

update... just got my big canister filter for the oscars new to me 125 gallon tank. sweety pie and i have been talking about this saltwater deal and how to make everything fit in the living room. this is where im at.

we have to buy wall mount tv stand and maybe get rid of the couch first.... how messed up is that?

we are committed to holding off on a larger aquarium until our feet are at least damp with some experience, so the 55 gallon is set in stone. at least ive got that figured out... i was thinking that if im going to modify my stand i may as well make it how i want it. im going to put a 40 gallon breeder under it for my sump. this will give me more water in my system for my mistakes and a larger area for my refugium... im up in the air if i want the overflow box that carey recommended or the lifereef one given that they are both rated for the same 600 gph. if you read lifereef's "testimonials" its very convincing and i wouldnt have to plug something else into the wall.

ive been looking fairly hard at reef octopus skimmers... but they dont come with any real installation guide. on their in sump non recirculating skimmer with the gate valve. do i just let it dump in the same compartment its sitting in or plum it over to the next portion of the sump? are there any other skimmers out there that are more beginner friendly? expensive doesnt make them the best but you do tend to get what you pay for. is there any more advice on them that anyone wants to share?

im chomping at the bit to get started on this project.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

There should be a collector cup inwhich accumulated organics go.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #130
Aquarium Advice Addict

yep got that. let me find a link to the pic. ah well here is a link to a site trying to sell it...

Reef Octopus NWB 110 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

the portion on the left with the red knob is the gate. but do i just let it spill out or plumb it to dump into my refugium?

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, salt, saltwater, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com