New to SW hobby - looking for easy critters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatr_head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In a nutshell, a friend moved and sold ($200) me his existing bow 46 gallon SW tank which included the following, stand, LS, 40 lbs LR, Remora protein skimmer, (3) maxi jet 1200 pumps, frozen food, flake food, test kits, (1) red banded shrimp, (1) emerald crab, (1) blue/green chromis damsel fish and lots of hermit crabs, snales and the lighting is 50/50 nothing fancy

I'd like to add some more reef safe fish that are small and somewhat non agressive in nature and I know I can't go with too many because of the size of the tank.

I'm thinking about the following bengaii cardinal, a clown fish nemo type, and a goby of some type.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

[/list][/code]

The fish you listed would most likely do just fine with each other. Make sure you test the water before buying new fish or inverts. If the move was recent, give at least a month or so for the tank to recover and reestablish itself before putting anything new.

Your list is good. I would bump it to 2 Ocellaris Clowns. they do better in pairs.

after that, your tank will be pretty much maxed out.

-Matt

Welcome to AquariumAdvie.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
You have lots of options...clowns are great. I like firefish, gobies and royal grammas as well. You could try a coral beauty but they are not considered 100% reef safe.

I just bought a Coral Beauty yesterday...what a georgous fish! Hopeing it doesnt like the taste of corals.....

I also have a Purple firefish. she is easy to keep but she needs live rock with openings large enough for her to hid in. Aquascape your rocks to form a small cave to make her feel more at ease.

My Ocellaris Clowns are little cuties. they have the best personality of any fish I have ever owned. And they love to people watch.

Also consider Royal Grammas, Six-Line Wrasse, Watchman Gobies.

Avoid: Mandrins. These are very, very popular but will die in 90% of all aquariums (require 75 gallon tanks and up with at least 120 lbs of well aged live rock. )

$200 for all that?! Dude, you got a sweet deal. a 46 bowfront runs close to $200 by itself.

I too love royal grammas, and would suggest a pair of clowns (same species...don't mix em)...and try to get them young. Clowns will pair up and can change gender, if necessary, to have a properly mated pair. Also don't worry about having an anemone for them..they do fine without them.

Back
Top Bottom