newbie lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just purchased a tank which came with 2 x 42" florescents, 40 w each. one is a marine glow and one is a power glo.....i realize that this is not allot of light but would i be able to keep any type of corals or inverts with these lights?

also, should i run my lights during the cycling process?

Probably won't be enough for corals.. you don't need light for cycling so it's best to keep it to a minimum to keep the algae growth down.

what type of moderate light package should i look to purchase. i would like to have some easy to keep corals etc in the tank.

Take a look at some T5 or PC fixtures.. someone else should be able to recommend actual brands that are available in the US, since I'm not really sure.

I would look into one of the Currents USA Orbit fixtures with 4x65w PC bulbs. This fixture also comes with moonlights built in. I'm guessing you have either a 55 or 75 gal tank. This will be enough light to keep the less demanding soft corals and most of the zoanthids. Shrooms will thrive under this lighting too.

Back
Top Bottom