Newbie needing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recently purchased 2 sexy shrimp, one of them roams around the sand and LR but the other hangs out at the top of the tank. Is there any reason for this? or is it normal
?

They are most likely getting used to their surroundings, and probably just foraging for food. Give them a week or so and i'm sure you will begin to see them going all over the place in search for food.

Also, a larger picture of that thing in the sand would definitely be a good idea because you can hardly see what it is in that thumbnail.. plus it's basically the color of the sand which doesn't make it any easier to identify lol. Right now.. judging by the fact that it does look sort of like a tube.. i'm going to input a feather duster, but i don't think we can really pinpoint what it is exactly without a larger more detailed picture.

Thanks I woke up this morning and he is at the bottom moving around. I found out what the other small object was from the picture. It was a yellow polyp. One other question, I was told by my LFS that I do not need to feed the sexy shrimp as they will find food to eat. The only thing is I have not bought any fish yet for the tank so I am not feeding anything in there. Will the shrimp be fine?

If you drop a little bit of mysis in there they will eat that until you get fish, because they would be eating what food the fish missed. A little bit of mysis, every three days should be fine. :) Make sure they eat it all otherwise your gonna acumulate phosphates and nitrates. If they don't eat it all fish it out and feed less next time.

Shrimp are part of a CUC (clean up crew). As long as you're feeding fish, there will be leftovers that blow into the rocks or sand bed that the CUC will dine on. Without fish, you' need to feed them something. VERY small amounts.

came home tonight from work and noticed one of my sexy shrimp was missing. I looked around for a bit and found one dead behind a rock. The other sexy shrimp seems to be doing fine. i have had them both about 5 days now not sure what the problem would be? Maybe since im new this is a lot to me, but maybe this happens sometimes with tanks i dunno. Would my levels be off? would they not have enough food since i dont feed them? anything would be great

It could be a molt of the Sexy Shrimp. They look incredibily like the real thing. Just wait for a few days and if the other doesn't turn up then it was the shrimp and not a molt.

Can anyone tell me what these anemones are and if they are ok to have in my tank. From doing some searches online they could possibly be bad and spread or they could be fine. Any input would be great. If they are infact bad any easy ways to get rid of them? Ive read vinegar in a syringe?

Attachments

• 100_3929.jpg
    100_3929.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_3931.jpg
    100_3931.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 69
looks like aiptasia not sure. do an image search for aiptasia to see for sure. yea they are bad and can take over your tank. there are several ways to get rid of them. If you do a search on here for it there are several threads explaining them.

I recently purchased a small piece of Anthelia I believe its called. Looks like waving hands. Well it was nice and perky in the store, i got it home and its attached a tiny piece of rock. I placed it on a live rock in my tank and it continues to fall off. Also i cant get it to grow perky like it did in the store. Am I doing something wrong our maybe I have to wait for it to get used to the tank?

Back
Top Bottom