Newbie needing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Live rock doesn't really grow. It's called live because of all the good bacteria on it that act as biological filtration. Although when you first start your tank, you cycle it, to grow the bacteria on the rock (unless it's already there lol). Btw bacteria doesn't need special light either.

(y)

So now that I have some live rock in my tank along with some live sand. How long did I let the tank run before I can add some fish. Also is there a certain time I need to do a water change? Every website I look at says I need to do a water change once a week

have you done a search on "cycle" on this site? or the raw shrimp method? only way to know if your tank is cycled and ready for fish is to get a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates and test for them. if you read up on the cycle it will explain it. remember to be patient.

Well you probably want to add some (depends on how big a tank. You can read the article in my sig on sw cycling) raw shrimp which you can usually find in a deli. Then you test ammonia nitrite and nitrate for a few weeks until ammonia and nitrite become 0 and make sure it remains 0 for a few days. Then you remove the shrimp and do a 50% pwc and you continue to do a pwc every week afterwards (maybe 25-50%). After that you should be able to buy some new fish.

I noticed something crawling on the side of my tank, that came out from the live rock and live sand that I purchased. It is very small looks kinda like a starfish, but it has 7 legs? not sure if this is good or bad. i was reading and didnt find any pics but I thought i saw something called an Asteria or something like that. Any help would be great.

yea sounds like an asteria. are you planning on having corals? if so remove him quickly. they multiply like crazy and will munch on coral.

I removed him now do you think he already has multiplied? I read up that they come out during the night hours, I looked last night and then also this morning at about 5am and didnt see any others

Another question...lol With the live rock I recently purchased it appears to have 3 types of snails i guess or some sort or hermits and a snail but I know one is def a snail and one a hermit but my question is do i need to feed them anything?

here they are

Attachments

• 100_3923.jpg
    100_3923.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_3924.jpg
    100_3924.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 65
Those are astrea snails. You don't need to feed them as they will eat detritus, waste, and algae which is supplied by your tank. They're also very good snails. However, if they fall over on their shells, you must upright them otherwise they will die. They are incapable of righting themselves.

The snail to the far right in the right picture sortof looks like a trochus.. but i doubt it. Most likely all astreas.

One other question is the small bent over object in the sand some sort of a mushroom or and type or coral. It was in the bag when i got the LR and I just put it in the sand, the top looks like some kinda mushroom but i dont know anything about it.

Attachments

• 100_3927.jpg
    100_3927.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom