Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mailbox,... you say your kids are attached to the star. The best advice for you at this point as said before is to do 25 - 50% water changes every other day. You must maintain salinity and temperature with your new water as not to stress anything anymore than it allready is. You CAN be successful at cycling a tank with fish in it but once your reading get up there they will stress and show negative signs. Just be serious about your water changes and pick up an API test kit. You need to be useing a liquid test kit not strips. It's possible that your heated is not calibrated correctly as your light should not EVEN be jumping up the temp 12 - 14 degrees. Youll need to leave your thermometer in the water and try to find the heater's sweet spot at about 78 degrees. If it cant hold this temp..... new heater. If your light for some reason IS heating up the tank every day than try finding the light fixture legs that raise it off the direct top of the tank 2 - 3". I hope this helps a little.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay mailbox.I think you will need to buy a small clip-on fan (Wal-mart) and have it set to blow over your tank water and some of it blowing over your lights. This will cool your tank down. As the Capt said set your heater for a temp. between 78-82*. This will help during the colder months.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ha, I just bought that same fan the other day, it has really worked out well with my temp.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just tested the water using my new non strip test kit. These are my results:

Current Temp 82.9
Ph 8.4
Alk 3.6 (way too high, right?)
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate - did not test - I was guessing that if I had no Nitrite there would be no Nitrate. Is this correct?

CaptainAhab - I have a 12 gallon acrylic Marineland aquarium, it uses Bio Wheel filtration and an Eclipse filter cartridge. It has been running for a week. Yes you are correct, only sand and no rock at this point.

Also, the reason the heater was set at 70 is because the temp was so high - I purchased another thermometer to see if that was the problem and got the same temp. The heater may be defective or it may be because of the lighting and air temp (It is consistently 85 or higher here this time of year and we keep our house temp at 78).
Old 06-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ha, your heater is more then likely working. It's not a chiller and will not bring your temp. down. You have it at 70* so if the temp fell below 70 your heater would heat it back up to 70.
Now if you use a fan, you will have lots of evaperation and you will have to make up this water by adding R/O water either manuelly or with an ATO system. Now if the AQ. is in a room that is chilled down to 7, your AQ should have that room temp. where do you have it placed?
Old 06-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Its against an interior wall away from the heating and cooling.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the room is cooled, why is the tank temp. so hot? like I said, a fan will bring your water temp. down, but being that you have a pretty small tank, you will have lots of evaporation. The fan can bring the temp down by at least 3*.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com