Newbie questions :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

branw1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have been trying to read a ton if info to get myself prepared to venture into saltwater. I realize that when doing water changes I will have to pre mix salt 24 hours before hand. SO what kind of set up does everyone use? How do you get the water into the tanks? Will I need several buckets in my basement ? If I am not doing corals, is it still a bad idea to use tap water?

I think I am going to go the sump route afterall. I will likely have tons of questions for that. It is all so confusing for me, but hubby is much better at that stuff.

So I have been trying to read a ton if info to get myself prepared to venture into saltwater. I realize that when doing water changes I will have to pre mix salt 24 hours before hand. SO what kind of set up does everyone use? How do you get the water into the tanks? Will I need several buckets in my basement ? If I am not doing corals, is it still a bad idea to use tap water? I think I am going to go the sump route afterall. I will likely have tons of questions for that. It is all so confusing for me, but hubby is much better at that stuff.
I use a five gallon Gatorade bin with the spout at the bottom. Then I just plug in an airstone and a heater set to my tank temperature and let the mix sit overnight. Then when you're ready to pour, you can pour with the spout at the bottom so it doesn't stir everything up.

And yes, I recommend ro water no matter what. It takes out nutrients that may cause unwanted algae growth.

I have been using a rubbermaid bin next to my tank, also with an air pump and heater :) Then I just use a 3 gallon pail to transfer water from rubbermaid to tank for water changes (pour slowly).
I only have a little 10 gallon nano so it is easy for me. I buy 5 gallons of ro/di water from a machine for 2 bucks :) and this lasts 2 weeks.

I fill a 20gal bucket with RODI and salt, put in a heater and powerhead. After it sits I pump it into my sump and my return put it in my tank. I have a 110g.

Do you buy a filter to make ro water yourself or buy it from the pet store?? Adding it right to my sump will work great for me so I can have it in the basement with my sump.

I have white pool filter sand, can I use it with saltwater or is it a bad idea?

Do you buy a filter to make ro water yourself or buy it from the pet store?? Adding it right to my sump will work great for me so I can have it in the basement with my sump. I have white pool filter sand, can I use it with saltwater or is it a bad idea?
I buy mine from the store. For a nano tank it's okay, but for big tanks it will get expensive.

And no, I don't recommend pool filter sand. Aragonite naturally buffers your water, making it much better for corals and such without having to add things to your tank. Either dry or live, it doesn't matter. Aragonite is definitely the best way to go.

Do you buy a filter to make ro water yourself or buy it from the pet store?? Adding it right to my sump will work great for me so I can have it in the basement with my sump.

I have white pool filter sand, can I use it with saltwater or is it a bad idea?

Yes you can use pool filter sand many do. For water changes i use a rubber maid trash can and a mag 5 pump. I turn of my return pump off. then use the mag 5 to pump old water out of the sump, then use it to pump new salt water back into the sump i can change out 30 gallons in under 20 minutes.
My tank is 180 gl. with a 55 gl sump. If your doing smaller WC's you can use 5 gallon pails. A RO/DI unit will pay for it's self in about one year. And IMO is money well spent.

As i understand it the ph in the tank would have to drop very low before the aragonite starts to dissolve and raise it. PWC's will correct it before it reaches that point. At least i hope so because i have PFS in my tank. :)

As i understand it the ph in the tank would have to drop very low before the aragonite starts to dissolve and raise it. PWC's will correct it before it reaches that point. At least i hope so because i have PFS in my tank. :)
That sounds correct. But I read it dissolves calcium. Then again, weekly water changes should replenish calcium plenty.

Back
Top Bottom