Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-04-2005, 03:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to labman
here is the problem

you walk into a fish store with all the pretty fish next thing you know you have a tank a filter and are setting it up then when recyled the sales person starts selling you fish if you ask them oh no problem easy then you find out afterwards that either the sales person knows nothing or they took advantage of you the problem is till after we get into the hobby we don't realize we need to educate ourselves and don't find places like this till after we make our mistakes. one salt water store I went to was selling young black tip sharks now how many of us have the set up to keep a black tip shark happy come on be responsible

labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I find the best way to deal with lfs's is to only speak to managers. If a manager gives you the wrong info you can go back to him and he will usually make it right. At my lfs I will only speak to two people and if they aren't there I will come back when they are. I know it's hard to resist making a purchase but it must be done sometimes in order to save some fish and money. We all on here can help too. If you know of someone that is starting a tank you can give them some help. My favorite thing to do that I know makes lfs's mad is eavsdrop on there conversations with customers and if they are giving bad advice I will let that customer know. I was in big als the other day and overheard a customer asking if the carpet anemone needed special lighting. To my shock the salesperson told them no. I waited until the salesperson left and I told him the straight goods and directed him to some websites. Needless to say the anemone was spared and he joined a website and has since purchased some metal halide lighting and is on his way to being ready for the anemone. Not only did he save the 100 bucks we managed to save the anemone an untimely death.

Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I know makes lfs's mad is eavsdrop on there conversations with customers and if they are giving bad advice
LOL. I do the same thing. All we are trying to do is help them make the right choices.

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's funny how so many times, I'll go into the LFS and start talking about saltwater reefkeeping and totally lose the employee. It's the 'old "deer in headlights look". I find myself almost chuckling to myself and giving one of these:

There is only 1 person that knows anything out of the 4 LFS in my city. I'll call ahead to see if he's working, and if he's not- oh well...no purchase today.

- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com