Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2004, 05:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nitrite spike??

Had the oddest thing happen when testing water just now; My nitrites seemed to have spiked to .2, first time I've had a reading on my nitrite test since I cycled the tank about 2 years ago. Other facts:

Amm 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .2
ph 7.8
Temp 82
SG 1.024
Phos .2

I'm treating the tank with red slime remover (I know differing opinions on bandaiding the problem and fixing it) and just did a 20% water change yesterday. I expected lower ph, but High Nitrites kinda threw me.

Any ideas, should I be worried? I just redosed the red slime remover (after the test) so I can't do another water change for a few days.

Fish look fine btw.

Old 02-24-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
steve-s

What brand is the red slime remover? Could be an odd interaction with the test kit giving a false reading or the product has had a limited affect on your biofilter and killed of some of the bacteria...

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ultralife. Thought about that...Ammonia was fine so I'm hoping no affect on bio filter.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
steve-s

Ultralife is one of the better poducts but as you are aware only a bandaid of sorts. It should really have no affect on the biofilter depending on the dosage used for your tank.

Once the treatment is done I would use a polyfilter to remove any remnants and do a generous water change with well aged SW mixed with RO. As long as the NO2 stays fairly low and no NH3 shows up I wouldn't worry just yet unless it lasts more than a few days.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks. I've got my SW mixed already. Plan a change in a few days. Red slime seems to be check, but we'll see.

Tags
spike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com