nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
equipment

I have a Millennium 3000 wet-dry multi-filter. It has filter cartidge pad, activated carbon, and Bio-grid for growing nitrifying bacteria. Right now I'm also running the filter from my 10 gallon (for the bacteria)Aquatech 5-15 power filter, Aqua clear 50 Power head w/ quick filter attachment. I checked the nitrites in the 10 gallon before transfer and they were negative. Of course we could have stirred up something when moving the sand. Also have a bubble disc, piece of coral we found(had it cured at the aquarium for over 3 weeks) I think that's about it. Oh and the other rock structure I mentioned earlier.

... I checked the nitrites in the 10 gallon before transfer and they were negative. Of course we could have stirred up something when moving the sand. ...

Oh... you moved the sand over too! I think we were missing that piece of information. Normally, folks won't reuse sand when switching tanks because of all the nasties that are deep inside it. Those nasties are find as long as they stay in the sand, but once disturbed... from either a real deep vacuuming/cleaning, or from a transfer... they can really muck up your water parameters.

Most likely, you stirred up a fair amount of stuff that your existing biological filter couldn't handle, so you ended up with another cycle. Not sure how long it will take for your bacterial to catch up, but I'd keep an eye on those water parameters and have plenty of premade saltwater ready for water changes just in case.

Just FYI... the bubble disk isn't really doing anything for aeration of your tank. That's more a freshwater thing. But if you like the looks of it, that's another thing!

sand

Well...that's what I thought about the sand, but the fish store thought it would keep our bacteria count up enough in the new tank. We had just set up the 10 gal in November. Lesson learned on that one. I guess that's what happens when you're still learning.
Checked the trites just now, and they're a much lighter orange-0.8ish. I think I'll do another pwc this morning. Everybody's still happy and swimming around like usual. Doesn't look like anyone's suffered ill effects from this except me stressing!:silly:

It appears that the move of the sand brought some decaying matter with it. Your new filter is just getting started and the load is too much for the old filter. PWCs are your friend for now.

Do you plan on removing the old filter or keep it running alonside the new filter. It would perfect to use in 10 gal for QT of any new livestock. You could just move it over when needed and have a cycled 10 gal QT tank.

Are you planning on keeping the QT tank running all the time? You'll need to feed the tank to keep the bacteria population alive. Just a pinch of flake once a week should do.

I'm setting that tank up now. We plan on keeping some grass shrimp in there. Those guys can survive anything! We put them in the 55 while we were setting it up-just for an experiment-and they're still in there now-happy as can be. My trites are now 0!! I'm so happy!All other perimeters are perfect. We added a few green Chromis last night and they are doing great. We may put one in the QT tank-not sure yet. My live rock-Igot it cured, but without any apparent growth on it-much cheaper. Well we've got some polyps, and I just noticed a bunch of baby feather dusters and a few unidentifiable growths.

... but without any apparent growth on it-much cheaper. Well we've got some polyps, and I just noticed a bunch of baby feather dusters and a few unidentifiable growths.

No apparent growth, huh? Just wait. You will be amazed at what pops up over teh next few months.

Back
Top Bottom