Ok, first of all this may be entirely normal but I thought I should ask the experts.
I have a 5 gallon hex I am cycling for dwarf seahorses. Nothing live in it. I started the cycling process with ammonia. I have got the ammonia consuming bacteria and now have nitrites. Nitrites came in at the beginning of the 2nd week. I have now been cycling this tank for over 3 weeks (it'll be a month on Friday) and the nitrites aren't changing. I'm haveing a hard time deciding where they are (between two pinks) so I'd guess 2.0-5.0 ppm
. I add a little ammonia every time I test and it comes to 0.0 the next day.
How long does it normally take for the nitrite bacteria to develop? Can I kick start this somehow. I read somewhere that if the nitrites stay high, do a water change to get them in line (but this may have been just if you have livestock in the tank while cycling). Please tell me if I just need to wait, or is a water change or adding something in order? I think I read macro's might help with nitrites is that true?