Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
Originally Posted by sleeper417 View Post
I wasn't clear enough. I didn't have all the fish in there at the same time. I read up on the gallons to inches of fish rules and did do my research.

At the most, I had 8 fish in there at the same time. Roughly 10 inches of fish.

Swimming space wise, I think I'm alright. The tank is 125 cms x 45 cms x 45 cms. The tangs seem very happy in there. They were always swimming around like what I see at my buddies' houses and their tanks are . . . massive monstrosities . . . basically almost the size of a average bedroom back home.

Now that I've cleared it up, any suggestions?
even tho you are not putting all the fishes at the same time, its still too much for a 60gal tank.
1 blue tang need at least 75gal, they might seem doing fine in your tank, but they won't when they grow bigger, they like to swim fast in a ling distance.

about water, why not get a RO/DI unit?

Thanks to AMD, HN1, Zero, partypalooza, thincat, and thominil who helped me in almost every questions. Thanks everyone!!!!!
46gal Reef
match55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I haven't seen a RO/DI unit here in Beijing. Beijing is strange. I don't know a single person who has a water purifing unit at home. Everyone here gets delivered purified water in bottles. Kind of like Arrowhead delivery man except on bikes.

I can probably order one from back home, but I've no idea how to install it. How hard is it to install one? Do you just stick it into your faucet or what?

sleeper417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
It's not difficult to install - for a permanent install you just tap into one of your cold water lines. The easiest install though is to get a connector that just screws on your faucet outlet and feeds the unit. Granted, you have to take it on and off to use that faucet (or get a T-connector) but it's pretty easy. The other issue though is storing the RO/DI water. The units generate water on the order of 50-100 gallons per DAY, so you can't just turn on the faucet and expect enough water to mix up salt just like that.

300 TDS is surprising... I would've thought it'd be worse. The problem though is that you don't know what kind of chemicals are in it. I just remember when I was in China many years ago, even the bottled "pure" drinking water had the smell of diesel to it. Hopefully things have changed...

But DO bring that temperature up to 78-80 degrees F. Between the temperature and the quick acclimation time (versus drip), that could explain a lot of deaths.

Also agree that you're pushing your stocking limits... but that's not causing your deaths in my opinion.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Will look into the RO/DI unit and see if one of the local fish markets can do it for me. That's right, not fish stores, but fish markets. Imagine 10+ small fish stores converged into one with quality basic goods and a handful of advanced gear, but nothing spectacular.

You'll be surprised just how much Beijing has changed in these couple of years, especially after the Olympics.

sleeper417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com