Oceanic Reef-ready overflow question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
The tank is a 72g Oceanic bow front reef-ready tank. How do I know how many gph this tank can handle through the pre-drilled holes?

And could you recommend a return pump that will be placed in the sump? It will be placed in the stand below, so estimate about a 4' head. I would also prefer the most quiet pump possible. :)

Thanks.

measure the inside diameter of the bulkhead.
a 1"bulkhead can handle about 700 gph minus head height
a 1 1/2 bulkhead can handle about 1200 gph
I have mag drives and am happy with their performance

Directly from Oceanic Systems customer service for a 72 gallon reef-ready tank:

"Pumps used in that system typically are 550- 800 gph. You could even run a pump rated a nine hundred something gallons per hour and be fine. The drain is rated up to (safely) 1100 gph."

Hopefully some others can provide specific pump recommendations given this info. Good luck.

Directly from Oceanic Systems customer service for a 72 gallon reef-ready tank:

"Pumps used in that system typically are 550- 800 gph. You could even run a pump rated a nine hundred something gallons per hour and be fine. The drain is rated up to (safely) 1100 gph."

Hopefully some others can provide specific pump recommendations given this info. Good luck.

I have the same set-up and use the Mag 7. Seems to work great and it puts out a lot of current. I would almost be afraid to see what the 9.5 would do.

I'm leaning for the 9.5 and putting on a valve to throttle back the current if necessary.

I was recommended a 12 by captivereefs... Does this sound like an overkill?

I would go with an External GenX pcx40.. Its rated at 1190gph but can be backed off if need be.. Awesome pump and is the same price as the Mag12.. FWIW I have the pcx40 and 3x 300gph powerheads in my 55g tank and I still think i need more flow LOL..

James

Go Big, you can always constrict the water flow with a ball valve. This leaves you room to get the flow you want.

And make it an External pump so that it is much more reliable at high head heights as well as saves a few degree increase in your tank water... I had 15g of water boiling well actually it was 145F when I checked from a mag 9.5 and a GenX 4100...

In my waterchange bucket My GenX 4100 is now my main sort of heating 30g of water to approx 80F

James

cj10488 said:
And make it an External pump so that it is much more reliable at high head heights as well as saves a few degree increase in your tank water... I had 15g of water boiling well actually it was 145F when I checked from a mag 9.5 and a GenX 4100...

In my waterchange bucket My GenX 4100 is now my main sort of heating 30g of water to approx 80F

James

Do internal pumps actually heat up the water that much? I was planning on an internal because the plumbing would be easier.

I am happy with my Eheim 1262. It is quiet and efficient. It moves 900 per hr w/ 0 head. I have 4 ft head too. I know they make a smaller pump then what I have for my 150. I love Eheim. They are energy efficient, quiet and run forever.

I have a mag 9 as a return pump and a mag 7 on my aqua c skimmer, both are in my sump. and have no heat problems

I prefer to keep it in sump so I won't have to drill the sump. I just measured the holes in my tank and the drain is 1", return is 3/4".

Would a Mag9.5 be enough? I'm open to suggestions to other brands. Just dont know which ones are good other than Mags. Is there something out there that runs more quiet and efficiently?

Back
Top Bottom