Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok these fish confuse me...

Ok so i'm hearing mixed things from people at my LFS and online about two types of fish:

Dwarf Angelfish

Ok so word on the street is that these fish will NOT do well in reef aquariums. However I have seen them in there before. I really want one in my 75gal soon to be reef tank, but if they nip at corals ill suck it up and not get one

Tangs

Every person I talk to has something different to say about tangs. I have seen countless videos/pictures with many, MANY tangs in the same aquarium (as long as you have the room for it of course). However my LFS and some online sites say not to have more then one tang per aquarium. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, Dwarf angels are hit or miss, some won't pick on corals but the majority will. If you want more then one tang in your tank you will have to introduce them all at once or at least rearrange the rock work. Tangs of the same type will be harder to get along with each other.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It should not confuse you. As Derrick said there is no absolute. It will be hit or miss. I had two angels that were perfect citizens for 4 yrs but then all of a sudden they went ballistic. They almost wrecked my tank. All you have to do is realize that it could happen to you. Maybe, maybe not but just be ready just in case. Most likely you`ll have to tear your tank down to get them out.
As far as the tangs I dont agree with either one of those points of view. It depends on the tank and the tang. Obviously you cant have a tang in a 29 gallon tank. In a 55 I personally think you could have a yellow or a yellow eyed Kole tang. In a 125 or 6 ft tank you might get away with 4 but it depends on the fish. Just remember that there is not a solid fast rule here. In aquaria there are several ways to do things.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

alrighty, thanks for clearing it all up for me

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com