Olive Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snookster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The LFS sold me 3 olive snails to keep my sand "churned". They're very good at it. I't amazing too, as soon as the lights go out, they come to life and piles of sand start moving around. When I get up in the morning, it's looks like someone's been 4-wheeling in my tank.

My question is, I have a 50g with rock taking about half the surface area, is 3 olive snails too many?

They've gotten my sand clean (visibly) in short order. They're pretty good sized ones too.

Thanks

Mike, there are SW types of these snails (you can find their shells on the beach). They are predatory, usually eating bi-valves and critters they can find in the sand. Do a search on Olividae. I have never kept them so I can't say much other than that.

Sure thing Mike, the only two reason I knew the smallest about them was from the shells on the beach and I know nothing about FW! LOL!

Thanks Roka, those are the ones. The owner of one of the LFS suggested them.

They've done an awesome job of cleaning/mixing the sand up.

Since I'm a newb here, should I keep them or try to trade them in for something else that'll keep the sand mixed? I've seen cerith snails are good for that. I'm afraid they'll eventually starve or eat something I don't want them to.

All the snails i have now, don't bother with the sand at all, unless there's something yummy on top. The fiddlers only sift the top couple of grains. I have 1 1/2"-2" sand.

I love the nassis!!!! Wait till feeding time and they all pop up from under the sand....

Back
Top Bottom