ORP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found out its oxidation-reduction potential. But what does that actually measure? And is it just a fancy toy?
LOL

The reduction potential of an ion is its ability to reduce another ion in a reaction. Or more simply its ability to oxidize. Reduction is the gaining of electrons by a substance and oxidation is the losing of electrons. Therefore the substance that is oxidized is more positive and the reduced substance is more negative. As for what the sensor has to do with the aquarium trade I have no clue. Just thought I'd share the basic chemistry behind it.

probably the breaking down of metals in the water columb, like copper aluminum, iron. anythign that can actually get in the system through waterchanges some freak way. prob just another gaget to grab your money, like the fancy ground probes. people insist you need

They are only needed when running ozone in your system. You use the ORP monitor/controller to turn the ozone generator on/off.

Back
Top Bottom