Overflow and Sump Flow Rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was planning on 15" for the first part, 8" for the Skimmer, 2" for the baffles, 8" for the return, 15" for the fuge. Does that seem like the right amount of space for each chamber? I was planing on having the baffles 15" tall (more like 3/4 high) should I make those shorter?
Thanks.

Your plan sounds great :D The 15” high baffles would be good in case you want to fill it up slightly higher when topping off so you don’t have to top off as much. Actually 14” high in a 55 gal would come to about 35 gal anyways so you may want to make them 17” high and keep it filled to 14”-15”.

As long as you allow for 2.5” of possible drainage from your main tank (roughly 15 gal) and 6 inches to spare from your water level in the 55 gal (about 16 gal) you shouldn’t have to worry about any flooding issues of your sump if your power goes out.

The way I was planning the sump the water will be flowing over the baffles into the next chamber. So does 15" still sound good or should I make them 14". I was going to use the same plan as this guy on a larger scale. what do you think?

15" is fine, as I said as long as you have 6" of clearance from the water line to the top of the sump your setup would work well.

So it looks like I will be getting a 100 gallon tank instead of a 125 for size reasons. What size tank should I use for the sump? It will also be only one built in overflow rated at 600 gph. I would like to overfilter if anything but I also do not want to waste any money. What would be a good size? Also are there any major draw backs from glass to acrylic? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom