Overflow/ Magnum Hang-on question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wisker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a couple of salt tanks back when I was in college. Now I'm looking at getting back into it. I plan on seting up a 55 or 75 glass tank using a hang on filter and skimmer.
Right now I like the Magnum HOT, but I've had problems with similar inlet tubes in the past (they always seem to clog, and I lost a puffer once when the gard popped off). My question is if anyone out there has plumbed the inlet of a magnum or similar filter into a CPR (or any) hang-on overflow?

Thanks,
wisker

Most hang on overflows are rated for at least 600 gph so it should work assuming its deep enough and the hot is rated at 250 GPH. It will probably interfere with the operation of the overflow if you are using it for that.

I’ve used these HOB units for over 10 years and have never had an inlet strainer pop off or get excessively clogged. Every other month cleanings is usually more than enough to keep it working for years. (of course you still have to change the media every 3-4 weeks) I have a 10 year old H.O.T. that is still functional without having any parts replaced & I just upgraded to a 350 Pro.

If you get 1.5 lbs of live rock per gal you won’t even need your filter other than for chemical treatment (ie: carbon) & water movement.

Back
Top Bottom