pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the pH? What are the other water parameters? What size tank? What do you keep in the tank or intend to keep in the tank?

What about Ca and Mg?

You alk is a bit on the low side, but not so low that I would expect it to significantly drop the pH. What kind of salt blend are you using, and what is the pH of your freshly mixed saltwater?

My calcium is crazy low too ugh
Magnesium? I dknt have a test kit for that hmmmm

I have been adding baking soda and calcium boost in franyic to increase numbers

Don't go too quickly. It will be worse than having it low if you adjust it too drastically in a short amount of time.

Totally freaking out here. yesterday Ca was 320ppm. I did a pwc and it dropped down to 280 ppm ugh

Just retested Ca up to 300 ppm but still waaay low. corals are not lookong good at all boooo

What salt mix are you using? What is your freshly mixed sw testing at for Alk and Ca?

Using instant ocean
New water at 380ppm.
I recently switched from aged tap water to RO. With the tap water the only problem I had was marginaly high trates. now with RO I have low Ca and Ph but no trates argh

RO shouldn't affect the Ca and Alk much.

I was going to suggest a kalk stirrer, which would help raise and maintain the high pH you are looking for, but it looks as though you might have Ca issues as well.

Granted my experience is limited (I have kept aquariums for years but my first reef was started at the beginning of this year) but I found that fluctuating levels of Ca and Alk played havoc on the coral - and after adding a 2 part dosing system, coral growth exploded. Stability and proper levels seems to be a key to success.

Turns out the salt Iam using ia JUNK!!
Instant Ocean (purple label) :(
I was recommended to beef it up with Reef Crystals and some Pro DKH supplement?
Ugh I am sitting here with a huge bucket of bad salt. so frustrated

Instant Ocean is far from junk. It's probably the most popular salt being used and is used by many large public aquarium. I've been using it for around 25 years.

Back
Top Bottom