pH is low... whats the best buffer to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just curious as to what you guys have found to be the best way to raise pH levels. mine is around 7.7 right now. My lfs dude told me to add some aragamilk to my water but i haven't yet i wanted to see what you guys said first. So does anyone here use aragamilk? and what does it do exactly.

I put in a marine buffer by seachem. It put my ph up to 8.3 and moved my alk right up where it needed it to be. HTH

Fellow Toledoan!!

I too had a problem with my pH, so i went to the lfs and he told me the same thing about the aragamilk. just wondering what your lfs is located, being that we are both from toledo!

Jon

(and we both have the same first name!!)

Do you have a glass or top on your tank?
What time of day are you testing?
Do you do regular pwc?
Do you have any power heads for extra flow?
Is your water surface agitated or smooth?
Is it's smooth, get a power head or two a/o aim your returns so that the water surface is agitated. That is where gas exchange takes place, removing CO2 from the tank and adding Oxygen. A buildup of CO2 can cause low pH.

Partial watter changes should be all you need to keep it stable, once you get it in the proper range. Overfeeding and excess nutrients will cause it to go low. Also,
pH will vary during the day, being lowest in the early am and highest late in the day. It should be in the 8.0 - 8.2 range.

As mentioned, remove the top from your tank, if possible and do a good old fashioned water change. With regular water changes you should be able to keep your Ph up.

lol i went to perrysburg... gary's tropical fish. i also go downtown to the coral reef but they are a bit exspensive but also have rarer fish. but yea after i told him that aragamilk didn't do anything he recommended seachem 8.3 pH buffer. but yea i just set up my tank and have done a water change and the pH remained low for a week or so but the buffer seems to have brought it up to a steady level. also i added about 20lbs of live rock and that seemed to stabilize it when i got the pH up. im actually acclimating 2 percs right now so lets hope for the best.... tell ya what though they are gonna be living the lap of luxury when i add them, 75 gallons all to themselves.

by the way i have never put my glass tops on, and have my return rippling at the surface. and have 2 MJ's 900's

What salt mix are you using and have tested a fresh batch 24 hours after mixing?

Just wondering why your pH is so low
i just set up my tank and have done a water change

Has this tank finished cycling yet?

well i added live rock last tuesdayand there has been no change in any other parameters besides pH. I have been adding seachems pH buffer but it will rise for a while then by the next day it is back down to around 7.9-8.0, but the pH out of the faucet is around 8.3. i've noticed that after i mix it up and have it going for a few days it drops to like 7.8-7.9 i am using oceanic salt at this time and have no idea why i can't maintain pH at a good level. can someone help me? i think i ready somewhere that alk sometimes affects pH or makes it unstable, is this true? also what is alkalinity and if i get a test kit for it what parameters should i be testing for?

Back
Top Bottom