PH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i am going to open the windows for today and tomarrow. its suppose to be nice out. so i hope it fix the issuse. thats smart of u to think that. i would have never even guess it.
i hope it works

I actually had the same issue when I was getting started. Still occasionally I'll notice my tank looks off, and I know 99% of the time it needs some air. if I don't open a window every once in awhile it will get down to 7.8 or so. I'm just passing on the knowledge I received :wink: HTH

i have had a window cracked all day and all night and i think it might have went up some but i checked it at the wrong time. (bonehead) when i check it the light just came on and it was about 7.8 from what i could tell. and u guys said the PH is at its lowest when the lights first come on so i will check it tomarrow some time.

ok its been a wile since i posted on this thread last and since i have had my window cracked for a few hrs a day and still i cant seem to get my PH above 7.8. now i know u guys siad new tanks seem to run a little low. and thats ok. but would putting a frogspawn coral in there hurt any. its my faviort coral of all lol :) how should i go by it?

www.wetwebmedia.com has a good article on them. They require a well established tank and excellent water parameters though so I'd hold off a couple of more months for your tank to stabilize more.

Any coral like fish/inverts can adjust to a lower ph of 7.8 but requires a slow drip acclimation to do so.

Have you taken a sample to the lfs to test or bought a new PH test? What are your day/night readings?

i just took a reading this moring right befor light came on and it was a little lower then 7.8 mabey 7.6-7.7 kinda then last night right befor lights went off the reading was 7.8. how cn i fix this problem?

The tank is still cycling right? If so, I wouldn't worry about the pH yet, as it takes some time to balance out, in newer tanks.
Did you remove the glass top?
Remember, the pH will be higher before lights out and lower right after lights on. As stated before, if you can keep it stable, that is best.

7.8 or a little lower is not too uncommon after lights out for tanks not dripping kalk at night. I run at about 7.8 at night even w/ a fuge full of macro-algae on a reverse lighting schedule. However after the lights have been on for a few hours you should at least hit 8.0 ph IMO. I think the next step would be to take a sample of tank water outside and put an airstone in it. Check the PH after an hour or so. If it goes up substantially it's most likely the air in your house. If not, the tank/LR may just need some time to mature.
FWIW a tank generally is not considered mature until a year or so after the initial set up. Let us know what happens w/ the sample.

i cycled the LR in a different tank. and when it was done i put in my new tank. as for the glass top its open for the most part. i just have a little 6 or 7 inch peice of glass covering where the light is so i dont get salt splash on my new light. i will take a sample out side and let u guys know whats happen. i get back to u on that.

Back
Top Bottom