Phosban

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
how well does phosban work. i just bought some yesterday along with a PURA pad but just read on the container that i shouldn't use phosban in my HOB media container unless it is packed in filter floss because agitation of it turns it into a powder.

GFO (including Phosban) is an effective way to remove phosphate. If it is not packed it on in a reactor with a specific flow rate it can grind itself up. The best way to use it is in a media reactor (like TLF's Phosban reactor). You cna use other medias in reactors as well. I have a chain of reactors, the water goes through the carbon, then GFO, then purigen.

what kind of pump do you have pushing it through all three of those?. i was looking at the TLF reactors and as far as i can read they don't come with pumps. i read soemwhere that the maxi jet 400s work well in them but as far as 3 reactors i don't nkow if you'd need more flow

You probably will. When in doubt go larger, you can always use a flow control valve to cut it back. If you went with a MaxiJet I would use the 1200.

In a reef you may not need a HOB at all. Natural reef filtration relies mainly on your live rock and water changes supplemented with a skimmer and fuge. If needed certain special media may be very beneficial. For example, if you have detectable phosphate, GFO in a reactor would be beneficial.

well thats what i plan on doing, i plan on using a rubbermain container to make an HOB fuge with a DSP and micro algaes with a skimmer over flowing into it, maybe a coralife super skimmer. i would use a 10g tank that my girlfriend has sitting around but its to wide to put bening my tank, but right now my PO4 is at .25 ppm and i want to get it down. so hopefully the PURA pad helps drop it so i don't have to get a reactor for GFO

Back
Top Bottom