Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

phosphate level question

Hey I have hanna checker for phosphates. I used it today fpr the first time. It read 0.31 I know we want as close to zero as possible. Is this considered high. I didnt see a chart to compare it to. Thank

Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would say .31 is high BUT are you having problem with algae? Also with the hanna checker make sure there are no dust or finger prints etc on the glass vial. It could cause your reading to be higher

Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was. Im slowly getting it under control. I did the 3 days without light. That was the reason for buying the hanna checker bc its hard to read the api color chart. What would u suggest good levels be between. 0.00 ppm to what?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read a thing where red sea recommends phospates to be at .1 and nitrates about 1-2 ppm for accelarated coral growth but I dont know for sure personally. I was having issues with phospates and GFO really helped bring it down. You can run GFO in media bag in decent flow area. It doesn't work as good as having a reactor but it does help.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, I usually have about .02 phospates. Sometimes 0 sometimes a tad higher.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, if you use frozen food for your fsh, rinse out the food after its thawed with RO water. The "juice" from frozen foods is pretty nasty and loaded with junk that can increase your phosphates more. And also check the water you use for water changes and top off. That can also have tons of phosphates. Especially if the ro filters are not changed often. I used to buy my water from a LFS until I tested their fresh saltwater. Now I have my own RO DI unit
Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My tds meter says .4 in .0 out. Does that include phosphates? Or should I check. Also, I dont rince my frozen food out, bc I thaw all of it rince it then mix my brine and vegie cubes. Use knox gelatine to make new cubes. Should I rinse it out again before I feed them? And thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hummm if your water is coming out 0 tds then I wonder where the phosphates are coming from. It may be your food but I am only guessing. Maybe try using GFO and see if that helps
Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea the thing is I use gfo also. I bought some rawsphos its suppose to suck all the phosphates up and not leach them back out. Do you think I may not have used my hanna checker 100% correctly. I havnt put the rawsphos yet I was waiting on the hanna checker so I would know how much to use.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Get a reg test and re-test had the same problem with the checker went and got a Red Sea test and the Hanna was way off.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com