Pictures of animals i found in my tank.. Pests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kanevskystas

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I bought sand and rock from an old tank so i would have a jump start with my bacteria and living things in the substrate.

Today i found three things :

1) small white specs floating around the empty cavities around the tank .. Pods?

image-2239980884.jpg

You can see them in the shadow there..
Are they good?

2) found this guy... Just on the sand ...

image-560551229.jpg

image-720107828.jpg

A flowery warm thingy... Is it good or bad?

Also found a huge red yellow worm that im going to kill

image-2901576604.jpg

Its in isolation in u cup outside the tank...

Im sure its bad ... :)

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-3192567769.jpg
    image-3192567769.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 105
Looks like the "worm" is some type of anemone. Are you positive on it's ID? Probably something awesome don't kill it just yet.

Its a devilish thing... I found two... This one i managed to get out of the shell he was in... The other i boiled with the shell....
image-1638725130.jpg
It was the length of the chopstick its on before i boiled it in water...

Question... I just boiled the shells they were in..
Can i just throw them back in the tank?

Avoid boiling anything from your saltwater aquarium. if anything you are boiling has toxins you will vaporize the toxins and breath them in. some toxins found in saltwater livestock can kill you. If you want to boil do it out doors. Or find another method of cleaning.

Avoid boiling anything from your saltwater aquarium. if anything you are boiling has toxins you will vaporize the toxins and breath them in. some toxins found in saltwater livestock can kill you. If you want to boil do it out doors. Or find another method of cleaning.

Wow... Good to know... Vinegar then will be my other choice...
Thanks..
Any idea what is the second creature? The flowering one? Its still in my tank...

Wow... Good to know... Vinegar then will be my other choice...
Thanks..
Any idea what is the second creature? The flowering one? Its still in my tank...

Its a coral. I think they are called button polyps. It looks healthy still to! If you. Have good circulation in your tank then get a tall glass with a few bits of gravel and put him in. The wall of the glass should help keep your pumps from blowing it around.

Once it starts attaching to the gravel you can glue it to a smaller rock and put it in your tank then watch it grow. Where gloves when you handle it if you cut it open the toxins inside will increase your blood flow making you feel warm and your heart race.

It appears to be a zoanthid. A soft coral.
Many worms you will find in salt water setups are harmless detrivores and eaters of uneaten fish food and poop.
"Devilish" is in the eye of the beholder. I think of some corals like they are straight from hell just to torment me, but others actually go out of their way and pay for them.
Research before the guillotine, is your best course of action.

It appears to be a zoanthid. A soft coral.
Many worms you will find in salt water setups are harmless detrivores and eaters of uneaten fish food and poop.
"Devilish" is in the eye of the beholder. I think of some corals like they are straight from hell just to torment me, but others actually go out of their way and pay for them.
Research before the guillotine, is your best course of action.

I did research about the worms i killed, and i found that they can grow up to 3 ft or even more...
mine was a ft long! For a 20 gal tank i would say its 1/4 the length of my tank... Im sure i still have smaller ones there somewhere :)

image-406427563.jpg

I put is in a small glass inside the tank..with sand gravel and a little live rock pebble and sprinkled some food...just in case..
Hoping for the best

I did research about the worms i killed, and i found that they can grow up to 3 ft or even more...
mine was a ft long! For a 20 gal tank i would say its 1/4 the length of my tank... Im sure i still have smaller ones there somewhere :)

I put is in a small glass inside the tank..with sand gravel and a little live rock pebble and sprinkled some food...just in case..
Hoping for the best

Nice starting to look like my tank. Im attempting my first coral frags using those. Once you see a second flower sprouting it will be time to carefully glue whatever it has attached to to a smaller rock and place it in your tank.

They work like venus fly traps. When something lands on its flowery top it closes up to eat it. It will be at least a couple weeks before its ready to eat.

Back
Top Bottom