Play sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrippyButterfly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I use play sand as a substrate in my 120 gal saltwater tank? I'm just starting it up. I eventually want it to be a reef tank if that makes a difference.

TrippyButterfly said:
Can I use play sand as a substrate in my 120 gal saltwater tank? I'm just starting it up. I eventually want it to be a reef tank if that makes a difference.

Yes you can make sure you rinse it well... though I will ask the question if you have considered pool filter sand..has a better grain size in my opinion... just to re assure you like many in this hobby someone will jump in and talk about silicates.. I have seen no issues with my current setup nor does many whom are on this forum that have..

I wouldn't use play snare or pool filter sand in any saltwater setup or any other silicate based sand go get yourself some argonite sand and save your self the headache algae in the marine enviorment is hard enough to control without intentionly adding compounds known to cause algae blooms not to mention pfs nor play sand will help buffer ph levels

Pool filter sand is fine. The silicates will get used up and will not be an issue. As far as aragonite and it's buffeting capabilities it will not do anything unless the ph drops way below 7 which will never happen in a sw tank.

Careful here. I used to use South Down. It was a play sand you could find at hardware stores about 10 years ago. It was real popular in the reef community because it was low on silicates and did not tend to cause algae problems over time. Most of the brands now on the market are loaded with some nasty stuff that rears its ugly head after being in your tank for 6 months.....especially in a reef tank with higher lighting needs. Even if you wash junk sand, it will still leach undesirable elements into the water that can be problematic. It might be worthwhile to look into some of Caribbean Sands meant for our hobby. Saving a dollar now can cost you in the long run. And believe you me, tearing up an established sand bed once you realize it is the cause of your never ending algae blooms is a miserable process.

Careful here. I used to use South Down. It was a play sand you could find at hardware stores about 10 years ago. It was real popular in the reef community because it was low on silicates and did not tend to cause algae problems over time. Most of the brands now on the market are loaded with some nasty stuff that rears its ugly head after being in your tank for 6 months.....especially in a reef tank with higher lighting needs. Even if you wash junk sand, it will still leach undesirable elements into the water that can be problematic. It might be worthwhile to look into some of Caribbean Sands meant for our hobby. Saving a dollar now can cost you in the long run. And believe you me, tearing up an established sand bed once you realize it is the cause of your never ending algae blooms is a miserable process.

Kinda what I was trying to say +1

Buy some good Caribsea or another brand for tanks you won't second guess yourself down the road.we spend hundreds on skimmers,refigium and rocks why not sand?lol no regrets later!

Back
Top Bottom