Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Any amount of ammonia is toxic to fish.

Glass tops on a SW tank is not the best idea. They prevent O2 exchange which helps keep your PH stable. Heaters are always a good idea to have running in your system . Do you check your water temp daily? What is it? What does it go down to at night?

You have been provided some very good suggestions. It sounds to me like your LFS is not as up-to-date with their information as they should be. Take the advice you have been given here and slow down some and start over. It will be much easier to do now rather then later.
Hi,

This is what I will do. I will leave the two clowns in and take all inverts out to LFS and hopefully they will accomodate them. Then I will wait to get the spike in ammonia and nitrite and then wait until they go down and nitrate start showing. I will add another 100 lbs of live rocks in the mean time. The temperature is 76 degrees during the day. At night I have no idea but the house is conditioned at 75 degrees all day long. Dai

Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Adding the cured LR might help a whole lot.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Adding the cured LR might help a whole lot.
I know this sounds abnormal but I was advised one time that pet's urine can be used to start the cycle since it contains ammonia. I believe 5 ml per 50 gallons. Any truth to this? Dai
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yeah the presence of ammonia will kick off the cycle. I'm not sure on the amount of urine per gallon, as I would opt for 1 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30G of water at a cost of about $.17 depending on your location....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dai Phan View Post
I know this sounds abnormal but I was advised one time that pet's urine can be used to start the cycle since it contains ammonia. I believe 5 ml per 50 gallons. Any truth to this? Dai
Could be done. More commonly people use pure ammonia instead, some hardware stores sell a glass cleaner that is pure ammonia with no surfacants. Personally, I prefer to just dump in a dead shrimp (like you'd get at the grocery store), a chunk of vegtable, or flake food. I keep testing the water to make sure I'm adding enough matter to spike my ammonia, but not overwhem the bacteria.

The advantage to using a purer form of ammonia like the glass cleaner or the pet urine, is you can calculate the amount of added ammonia, and test the water the next day to see how much of it was metabolized by the bacteria. The whole foods however may contain more nutrients that will help the bacteria grow faster. Diffrnent people have diffrent opinions on which is best.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #46
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think your temp is a bit low as well. I keep my tank at 80. You may want to consider gettting those heaters and keeping the temp closer to 80.

If you can get all of the fish out of the tank that would be better. Cycling with a few raw shrimp is far better.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Here's an out of the box suggestion. I'd ask others to weigh in.. You have a skimmer in you sump, right? Sooo.. move everything to the sump that you can. turn off the pump and maintain everyone in the sump. Cycle the tank, get the water parms back and move everyone back.
I'm not sure how that would work. The sump would then have super-oxygenated water, but are all the nitrogen compounds removed by skimmers? I didn't think they were. I think skimmers only take out larger molecules.

Skimming Basics 101: Understanding Your Skimmer by Frank Marini, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

In general, moving the criters from a larger uncycled tank to a smaller one is a bad idea. They would then have less water to dilute their waste in.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Yeah the presence of ammonia will kick off the cycle. I'm not sure on the amount of urine per gallon, as I would opt for 1 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30G of water at a cost of about $.17 depending on your location....
Hi,

On day 1, I put some smashed shrimps as well as some meaty pieces to start the cycle. I also feed the cleaners daily with some very fine seafood pieces (uncooked) too and I have been doing it for 4 weeks now. I was VERY careful not to get the ammonia spike. Now looks like I need to get an ammonia spike. Dai
Old 06-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just weighing in, and echoing other's advice.

Short and sweet...

Take all the stuff (corals/fish/cleanup crew) back to the LFS. Cycle your tank (you WANT to see an ammonia/nitrite spike). Then start stocking the tank SLOWLY. While your tank is cycling, do the research on this hobby that I suggested earlier.

While it may seem like you have a lot of $$ invested in this tank at this point, and it's too late to "start over"... it really isn't. With that size tank, you've just started spending money and the longer you put off setting the tank up properly, the more money you'll waste.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

More disasters!

Hi all,

I went to the second LFS (that specializes in SW) and had them tested the water. Again, nothing out of the ordinary and I was reassured that "your tank IS cycled. Period". I inquired about delayed cycling and I was advised that for the tank of a month old with LR and LS, that would not be possible. I was advised to remove 30 gallons and replaced with premixed RO water and I did that right after I got home. I am to return to the store for another 30 gallons of premixed RO water today. This morning, I found two clowns that were fine yesterday barely movable and they were on top of the surface. The strange thing is that after I changed the water, I fed them with some fine smashed raw shrimp and the clowns attacked it like there is no tommorow! Even the canary blenny joined in the fray. But this morning was a total different picture. They are barely clinging to life! I removed the weaker one and placed in the sump in case it dies, I can remove it easier. Looks like another casualty coming soon. I tested the water and again, nothing out of the norm. Yesterday, the LFS did extensive testing on my water and all came out normal. In fact I was told that my water is "outstanding". But the concencus here is my tank hasn't start the cycle yet. You can see I am pretty confused here. I wonder if the plastic decors were contaminated? Or the bad municipal water maybe? One good note, on my sump area, there are dark purple, mauve algea growing. I have kept SW since 2001 but fish only. I practically knew nothing about cycling then but my fish did lived a little bit longer than a week. That Tang's death was a speed record. Now where did I put that Jim Bean? DP

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com