Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I'vew noticed mine are most colorful with just the moonlights. BUT I think thats just the bulbs we have. SOme different color spectrum bulbs can make your corals more colorful during the day.

It sounds like yours are doing just fine. My duncan actually closes up into tiny little heads at night. lol
Weird. My duncan is super open at night. Do you think I should be dropping brine shrimp into the tank for the corals to eat? Do I just drop the shrimp in from the top let them land wherever?

What different color bulbs are you referring to? I'm running 8 36" actinics Currently for about 8 hours a day, and my 2 250w halidse for 4 hours.

One thing my mind is playing tricks with me is the lunar led's; My lunars are on the other 17 hours; I keep thinking thats going to KILL my electric bill but then I think about LED's don't burn much, then I worry aobut them burning out; lol Is it normal to run Lunars so much?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I woudl run the lunars only when you are up at night, theres no real benefit to them, its just eye candy for the owner.

They make red and pruple bulbs which are supposed to bring out coral colors even more. When I get around to my bulb purchase I will adding two purple bulbs in place of 2 of my blue ones. I also have 12 bulbs to play with though. lol

As far as feeding corals thats up to the individual. I dont feed my corals except for my sun polyps since they NEED to be fed. Alot of people do feed them though and swear by it, some also never feed and sear by that too. It's just one of those opinion things. I do think brine might be too big though. I recently purchased some rods' coral food and feed that to my polyps and they seem to like it alot.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I woudl run the lunars only when you are up at night, theres no real benefit to them, its just eye candy for the owner.

They make red and pruple bulbs which are supposed to bring out coral colors even more. When I get around to my bulb purchase I will adding two purple bulbs in place of 2 of my blue ones. I also have 12 bulbs to play with though. lol

As far as feeding corals thats up to the individual. I dont feed my corals except for my sun polyps since they NEED to be fed. Alot of people do feed them though and swear by it, some also never feed and sear by that too. It's just one of those opinion things. I do think brine might be too big though. I recently purchased some rods' coral food and feed that to my polyps and they seem to like it alot.
Ok, so I should just manually flip my Lunars off before I go to bed right?

Also, should I replace one of my actinics with a red and one with purple leaving only two actinics, one red, and one purple per fixture?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Or get a cheap walmart timer. I picked up two yesterday for $4 each.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Or get a cheap walmart timer. I picked up two yesterday for $4 each.
Yeah; I have the coralife timer, which I'm LOVING It handles the transitions for me; I just need to rig something up for the lunars: I guess I can do a two sided timer. Yeah; I think I'll go that route once I build my top.

Speaking of, I'm going to research canopy ideas now
Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck! You are ALWAYS up to something it seems LOL
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Good luck! You are ALWAYS up to something it seems LOL
Yeah; I wonder if I'm a lil OCD LOL. Canopy build will begin this weekend. I'll have pics up in the DIY section as I go along.

I always do this with a new hobby; research the crap outta it, master it then just maintain.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Sounds like me. Probably why i make so many tanks. I just love to start from nothing and end up with something awesome. And I am OCD so that probably explains a lot with me. lol
Old 08-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just to chime in on the Duncan front, mine are fully open 95% of the time, it's only when they are expelling waste that they retract. Day or night my duncans look huge...

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton79 View Post
Just to chime in on the Duncan front, mine are fully open 95% of the time, it's only when they are expelling waste that they retract. Day or night my duncans look huge...

VERY nice! Do you still have your duncan glued to the stick thing the stores glue them to? It looks almost like yours is place right on the rock.

Can you share info on how old yours is?

Mine has a power head blowing on it constantly about a foot away, and is about 12" deep under lighting.

I run my halides 4 hours a day; think that is too much? Too little?

Thanks for sharing!

Tags
hare

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com