Possible new tank, is this a good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
My lfs said he is getting a 150 gal (I guess tall since it's only 5 ft long), wrought iron stand and lighting (I don't know what type) in the next couple days and wants to sell it to me for $350.00. I've been looking for a bigger tank and if this is a god deal I might talk the boss it letting me get it. As long as it don't cause no lawyer talk. What do you think?

That sounds like a very good price, but personally those wrought iron stands make me nervous. Although, I don't know how that one is designed, but the one I was looking at for a 75 gal, was made out of what appeared to be 1/16" angle steel. I bought the solid oak instead.

That sounds like a very good price, but personally those wrought iron stands make me nervous. Although, I don't know how that one is designed, but the one I was looking at for a 75 gal, was made out of what appeared to be 1/16" angle steel. I bought the solid oak instead.

ITs a good price although I am not sure that it will be a good SW tank. If its 5 feet long and 150 gallons it must be very tall....I would take a look at it before I put down a deposit.

If its 5 feet long and 150 gallons it must be very tall....I would take a look at it before I put down a deposit.

I had not thought of that, thanks. Just how big would it be if it was 5 ft tall and say 2 ft wide, How tall would that make it?

According to the calculater it looks like it's 24 x 24 x 60, not to bad if I can make it fit.

Well I got it. It measures 18 x 26 x 60. I don't think it's quite 150 gal but I guess it's mine now. The caculator says approx 121 gal. So I'm guessing 125 gal. Not a bad tank, heavier than all get out. Very thick glass, all the seams look good. Don't like the stand, Maybe I'll build one for it.

Building a stand for it would be a lot of fun. Just be sure that you want to put them much work into it, you have the time and enough of the tools that it doesn't cost more than buying one already made.

My 55 gallon stand became a good excuse to get some tools, but after all the cost involved, I probably would have saved money by buying one. (don't tell my wife that). My stand is finally done, I like being able to say I did it myself. (unless you see mistakes, then it was my faulty equipment.)

I got the tools, and the wood was only 30 bux.

No I don't have any pics. yet. Just got it home. :mrgreen:

Well got the stand frame built, don't have the top of the frame cut out yet, I'll get that done today. Once I get the stand built I'm going to carry it to a friend that owns a cabinet shop and get him to sheet it and stain it just like the rest of my stuff. I'll get some picutres posted of the tank, old stand and new stand frame today.

Ok Here goes,

Old stand:

new_tank_001.jpg

New stand frame:

new_tank_002.jpg

Tank, on side (don't want it filling up with water :oops: ):

new_tank_003.jpg

im not sure thatll hold 1k lbs of water plus all of everything thatll go in. id make the legs a little bit thicker. just to be safe. and besides that it looks really good.

If you look at picture 1 you will see that picture 2 is built alot better. However, I am going to get it covered with 3/4 oak plywood, in addition I am going to have them cut a couple of braces (I ain't qualified to make those kind of cuts, :oops: ).

I weigh about 300 lbs and I got on top of the new stand and jumped up and down, I don't think it's going anywhere.

thats more of a tank used to cage snakes and lizards

??? How do you figure? I had to clean it out and it was a sw tank, I still have some of the cc in my front yard to prove it.

Why would it have the brace if it wasn't meant to be filled with water?

My thoughts exactly. The tag says it was built in 1999. So it's not that old. Very heavy glass also.

Back
Top Bottom