Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to magnaflow
Powerhead in my new cycling tank but a question

Hey guys I started to cycle my tank today. Added 3 live rock for now I will add more but there $$. I was at the local fish store Friday and got some crushed coral and a powerhead for the tank. I got the live rock from a better place. When I was at the pet store getting my powerhead I ask them which one I should get. I seen some there for like 15-30 gallon and 30-50 and so on. I was thinking to myself well this is a 27gal tank I will go with the 30. So I ask him (the guy who worked there) and he said you want alot of water movement and told me to get one and heres the specs on it
aquaclear powehead-for 40-70 gallon pumps 400gal and hour. So he says that the one hes use's in his tank which he said was a 25 gallon. So I go thinking its what I need. SO tanks all setup and I have the power head going. Start it water is coming out it crazy. so I turn it down to lowest setting and seems to still be moving very fast. Does this sound ok or should I take it back and get a smaller one.
Also I got a hydrometer to read the salt level and I cant seem to get it write. I will use it and it will look good I check a while late rand it way off.. some trick to it?

Old 09-18-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Most people recommend 10-15X water turnover. So 270-405GPH is recommended for your tank. I would say you have the correct pump. The only thing different I would do would maybe instead of one 400GPH PH, two 200GPH PH's at opposite ends of the tank to create some better current.
Where does the PH focus the water? The center of the front of the tank? Opposite side? Bottom/Top?

Also, most people would recommend not using crushed coral. It allows stuff to get stuck in beneath it and creates a nitrate problem if not vacuumed regularly. Since your just starting out, you might want to research using LS instead and removing the CC.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wanted to use live sand but people on here told me its not for beginners and I should'nt. PH is on the top left corner of the tank and blow the water to the right. I didtn think you did a gravel vac on the coral as much becuase of the stuff that grows on it. Also I can seem to get the salt level right. I check certian spot of the tank liek dip the hydro meter in and I get liek ones that say 1.017 or then I do another and it goes right to the top. So I ave no idea what I am doing wrong. If I do it in the corneraway from the power head it goes to like 1.017 I think but before I left it for a few hours it was at 1.022 which is wher eya want it.. Tried adding mroe salt but seems to keep going to 1.017 so now idea any ideas?
Also coral is a thin layer
Old 09-19-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok well I Got my salt problem fixed. But I sitll think the pumps to big for that tank. Everyone I ask says its ok but man the water moves fast.. When I add the protien skimmer after cycle will that make alot more current?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water current at 10 -20 times tank is correct for corals etc. Mine is 20 times my tank per hour. If you have a FO tank you can get away with less but watch out for algae etc. I would dump the hydrometer and get a refractometer. You can get them on sale cheap and also on ebay. You will be glad you did.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

well got my salt right on. And go tthe powerhead turn down real low seems ok now..Well see what happen when it comes time to add fish and stuff.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just keep adjusting and playing around with the powerhead. The store owner is right in that you want lots and lots of water movement. Trying to find a way to move all that water without blowing sand and inverts all over the tank is the tricky part.

With the hydrometer problem, that you aparently figured out.....just in case you didn't know, if bubbles get attached to the needle/float....it can screw up your readings. Make sure all bubbles have been knocked of the needle to read SG correctly
Old 09-21-2005, 12:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

ya I had a look at the tank at the store and man that water was going! so ya I guess faster the better and ya was air bubbles.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I move my powerheads position to clear any algae or stringers that might form on the back of the tank where the water flow is least. Try moving yours around until you are happy. It's all about fish health and your happiness..

Tags
cycling, cycling tank, powerhead, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com