Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Preparing water changes

I have heard more than once on this site that saltwater should be mixed and prepared 24 hours before being poured into the tank, heated, and aerated with a powerhead.

I am curious though...I intend to do either weekly or 3 times a month 10-gallon water changes on my 46-gallon. That means 2 5-gallon buckets. Do I really need to have 2 powerheads and 2 heaters for no other purpose than water changes?

Could I try this instead? Mix the 2 buckets of saltwater, heat 1 bucket and aerate for 12 hours, then switch it over to other bucket for 12 hours? At this point, you'd think both buckets would be properly mixed and aerated. As far as the heat, one bucket would be the perfect temperature, and the worst the other bucket would have done is fall a few degrees to room temperature. 5 gallons at a few degrees lower wouldn't even cause a 1/2 degree fluctuation in the aquarium. I just have a hard time justifying spending $60 just to prepare water changes!

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I just have a hard time justifying spending $60 just to prepare water changes
Why not just spend $10 on a 15 gallon tote?

Old 03-24-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cause I can't lift that!

I suppose you mean pour from the 15 gallon into the 5-gallon buckets and then into the aquarium? I guess that would work...lots of water transferring! Leave it to me to overcomplicate everything...

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Buy a piece of plastic hose that will pressure fit into your PH outlet and let the PH do the work for you. I have the ultimate WC setup so we can figure something out for you.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a Brute 32g trash can and wheels that you can buy with it. I can fill it to the top and am able to move it with ease! Then again I am 6'1" 230lbs.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I use a Brute 32g trash can and wheels that you can buy with it.
I think that many types of trash cans are coated with a anti-mildew layer. Is the brute not?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a 30gal rubbermaid tote and mix right next to my tank. I then use a Mag Drive 7 pump to mive the water from the tote to the tank. Easy as pie...hmmm...pie.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Ryan,
Quote:
I think that many types of trash cans are coated with a anti-mildew layer. Is the brute not?
All Rubbermaid "Brute" products are food grade.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
All Rubbermaid "Brute" products are food grade.
Good to hear!
Old 03-26-2006, 06:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

All right! I have made my foray into the world of intelligent water changes!

I purchased an 18-gallon Rubbermaid tote (with wheels!) at Walmart today for under $10. Now I can easily do water changes of 15 gallons, mix it up, use a powerhead and heater to heat and aerate it for 24 hours, and then use a powerhead to pump it into the aquarium. Thank goodness for this forum, this idea alone will save me tons of mixing and lugging, not to mention the slow pour I used to have to do to avoid disturbing my sand.

What powerhead would you recommend for this job? And what other equipment (i.e. tubing) will I need? I was thinking a Maxi-Jet 600 or 900. Any more help would be appreciated!

Tags
water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com