Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Proper feeding in the Quarantine Tank?

Hello all,

I have just purchased a beautiful Coral Beauty Angel. Right now he is in the QT just chillin.

I got him the day he arrived at the shop and he didn't even leave the shipping bag before I got him home so my concern is that He hasn't taken any of the formula one or formula two that I offered yet. Is it just a matter of time? should i try something else? How should I be presenting the food in a way he will find the most appealing?

thanks!
-Matt

p.s. Pics to come soon.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You didn't say how long you've had him. A couple of days and I might not be so worried, but much longer than that and I'd be scratching my head... Have you tried soaking his food in Garlic? He's a grazer, right? Have you tried a clip with Nori on it for him? Maybe that kind of relaxed, "eat when he wants to scenario" would suit him better than catch as catch can while it falls?

Good luck with him! I really wanted one in my tank but just can't justify taking the chance with the corals in there!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oops, sorry. I have had him for 3 days now.

I may just try the nori. But I am afraid my clowns will develop a taste for it and feed themselves to death. I will keep a close eye on him.

I am worried about corals too, but seeing that I don't expect to have any for another 5 months at least, I am hoping to break him of that habit. Many people report success with keeping Dwarf Angels in a reef tank.

We will see...
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 03-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

what about the environment? a barebone QT may have the fish "uncomfortable", have you offered any hiding places, like large sections of PVC pipe, etc. just something to give the fish the feeling of an environment (avoid porus materials incase you need to medicate). Could help to ease him some. If he's stressed he won't eat.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yup. I have a large piece of PVC that he hides behind instead of inside. I am medicating him right now. perhaps he just doesnt feel to good.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Do you know what the LFS was feeding him? you can try offering the same thing just to get him to eat something. You've verified all the basic water parameters?
Old 03-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Neither of my clowns have *any* interest in the nori. I don't think you have to worry there. Maybe with the nori (in several places around the tank) to pick at he might decide that it is easier to pick at than your corals? I'll cross my fingers for you.

My tang in QT was sleeping behind an elbow also. Now he swims through them like a cave. Cute to watch.

What are you medicating him with/for?

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The LFS didn't get a chance to get him out of the shipping bag before I snatched him up. So I doubt he has eaten since he was in the big blue. (unless he ate at the shippers.)

Water parameters are normal. the water in the QT was from my display tank.

The medication I am using escapes me now, but one is for fungul and bacterial infections, and one is to promote healing and

Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Please visit the thread I just posted about my Angel and see if you can help me diagnose and treat this.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...=369699#369699

I have included a picture.

thanks,

-Matt

Tags
feeding, quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com