Protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edwardclaxton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are some good brand protein skimmers for a 180+ gal? There are so many different kinds and brands pinwheel or airstone driven I have no clue what is a bang for the buck. I seen the diablo 2500 but i seen a lot of people say the sicce pump with it isnt very good. Im looking for a good quality i dont want something bring in a month and dont want to go broke doing so. thanks

edwardclaxton said:
What are some good brand protein skimmers for a 180+ gal? There are so many different kinds and brands pinwheel or airstone driven I have no clue what is a bang for the buck. I seen the diablo 2500 but i seen a lot of people say the sicce pump with it isnt very good. Im looking for a good quality i dont want something bring in a month and dont want to go broke doing so. thanks

Octopus is a great brand for the money, the sicce can be a good pump or it can be a bad one. Kinda the luck of the draw. If it ever craps out you can upgrade pumps. Another good brand are Bubble Magus for good function and decent price.

Many like the diablos. The sicce can be replaced if need be. Diablo would probably be my choice but there are others.

ok thanks i do like the diablo idk much about skimmers can you install any pump or is it just the one that comes with it?

I have the 2500 diablo and yes if your impeller gets dirty or say you have a power outage and the sicce pump starts while there is all the extra water in the sump it turn in reverse .There is a fix for it or you can upgrade to a bubble blaster pump.

edwardclaxton said:
ok thanks i do like the diablo idk much about skimmers can you install any pump or is it just the one that comes with it?

The Super Reef Octopus line (SRO), comes with the Bubble Blaster pump. The XS and Diablo's come with the Sicce, and the regular Reef Octopus line comes with a Reef Octopus pump.
I'm also researching new skimmers and from what I've read they are all decent skimmers. Some of the Sicce pumps have had issues with start-up, and the RO pumps just aren't really enough power... they work. The Bubble Blasters are definitely the best of the line. I saw a 250 Diablo with an upgraded Blaster put on it, and it looked awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom