Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Protein skimmer?

What are some good brand protein skimmers for a 180+ gal? There are so many different kinds and brands pinwheel or airstone driven I have no clue what is a bang for the buck. I seen the diablo 2500 but i seen a lot of people say the sicce pump with it isnt very good. Im looking for a good quality i dont want something bring in a month and dont want to go broke doing so. thanks

Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton
What are some good brand protein skimmers for a 180+ gal? There are so many different kinds and brands pinwheel or airstone driven I have no clue what is a bang for the buck. I seen the diablo 2500 but i seen a lot of people say the sicce pump with it isnt very good. Im looking for a good quality i dont want something bring in a month and dont want to go broke doing so. thanks
Octopus is a great brand for the money, the sicce can be a good pump or it can be a bad one. Kinda the luck of the draw. If it ever craps out you can upgrade pumps. Another good brand are Bubble Magus for good function and decent price.

Many like the diablos. The sicce can be replaced if need be. Diablo would probably be my choice but there are others.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok thanks i do like the diablo idk much about skimmers can you install any pump or is it just the one that comes with it?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have the 2500 diablo and yes if your impeller gets dirty or say you have a power outage and the sicce pump starts while there is all the extra water in the sump it turn in reverse .There is a fix for it or you can upgrade to a bubble blaster pump.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardclaxton
ok thanks i do like the diablo idk much about skimmers can you install any pump or is it just the one that comes with it?
The Super Reef Octopus line (SRO), comes with the Bubble Blaster pump. The XS and Diablo's come with the Sicce, and the regular Reef Octopus line comes with a Reef Octopus pump.
I'm also researching new skimmers and from what I've read they are all decent skimmers. Some of the Sicce pumps have had issues with start-up, and the RO pumps just aren't really enough power... they work. The Bubble Blasters are definitely the best of the line. I saw a 250 Diablo with an upgraded Blaster put on it, and it looked awesome!!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ill look up the one with the blaster upgrade thanks

Tags
protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com