Protein Skimmer V Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boges_au2006

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi i just want to know is a protein skimmer completely necessary??
I have canister filter on.
looking at installing a sump. even with the sump will i still have to get a protein skimmer.

(as u all know i have a protein skimmer going but i need a new one)

basically trying to figure out which one i should get first. Sump Or Skimmer?

If you skimmer is working right now I would get the Sump first...if your skimmer is not working then I would get the skimmer first!

How many gallons is your tank...5'=120? 125? There are a lot of skimmers out there, don't skimp on it you get what you pay for. Also you may need to get the sump at the same time a lot of skimmers are for insump use. Your sump doesn't have to be custom made out of acrylic and cost more then your tank...a simple plastic tote will get the job done!

umm i think its 250 litres i worked it out. so that would be like 65 gallons i think??
im looking at getting a hang on aqua c remora mag 3 as was discussed in the hardware section :). anyone have a spare one they wanna sell? as its pretty pricey direct but if i have to i will. :) hehe.

also my lfs is selling equipment for a sump for 167 dollars AU and he said just to pick up a plastic tub and i can get sand too from him :) and he said it would work fine.

Ok...now I remember who you are...yes that is an excellent choice for your tank and you will be very happy with it performance!!!

only prob is i have to get one from the US no one here stocks them :(:(
and i dont know of any other good brands in aust. think they are all over priced and not real good here :)
i might look for a used one or soemthing.

Back
Top Bottom